FTX and Christian's Roads and Rivers of Victoria

I use Christians 20m vic mesh and it works great in FTX except for some elevated runways, but I can live with that. I have been wondering if Christian and ORBX could get together and release the rivers and lake data for use with FTX as a payware  addon. Although I much prefer ORBX road textures, maybe these could be used with Christians roads as well. A seemless intergration between FTX and RBE R&R for Vic would be the best of the best ! I'm first customer.

Christian states in another thread that if you apply the FSX patch to R&R that it will work fine with FTX.  I would think the data would be doubled up though so I have yet to drop the cash on R&R for fear that it might not work perfectly.  I've been waiting for a user to report their findings with both products combined but that has yet to happen, so I'm still holding out on the purchase.  I would love to have the extra water data though to go with the mesh, and I could realyl care less about the roads.  So I would buy it just for the water data, but first I want to make sure it doesnt double up any of the rivers or replace them with something that isn't on the same level as FTX, for example. 

If anybody has experience with both products or some assurance R&R will work flawlessly with FTX please share. 

The FSX patch has an exclude define to get rid of all other roads & rivers. It needs to otherwise it would double with the default FSX stuff. So, if you have it at a higher priority as FTX all FTX roads & rivers will be excluded (in Victoria).

Tell you what. Why don't you get it from www.simpilotshop.com and if you're not happy I'll personally refund you?

The FSX patch has an exclude define to get rid of all other roads & rivers. It needs to otherwise it would double with the default FSX stuff. So, if you have it at a higher priority as FTX all FTX roads & rivers will be excluded (in Victoria).

Tell you what. Why don't you get it from www.simpilotshop.com and if you're not happy I'll personally refund you?

Oh ok, I see how that works.  That makes a lot of sense, so I guess I'll be picking that up in the near future.  Thanks for the clarification!

If Christian's "R&R" is higher priority does that cause problems with any airports in that add-on compared with the FTX freeware photoreal airports? I assume there is doubling of some here and the photoreal ones in FTX are great. Are there any problems with running both in this respect? Thanks!

Let me clear things up:

1. The patch which is provided by Christian is a patch which allows R&R (which is a FS2004 addon) to work in FSX. However it excludes all roads and rivers in FSX for Victoria and will remove the FTX roads and our coastlines (which have beaches and are hand-drawn) and our river systems.

2. If you apply the patch you will lose the FTX vector roads and the attached trees to rural roads, and also potentially the moving vector traffic, and generally it will not be as cohesive as using the FTX vector roads and coastlines.

3. The upside is you do get more dams in rurals areas and more detailed river systems. However keep in mind the dams shown in R&R are mostly dry due to the persistent drought we've had over the past 5 years.

4. The downside is that you lose all the beaches on the coastlines, the traffic (if it appears - I have not tested it) will not align to the R&R roads, and you will lose a lot of the metro freeways if they too are excluded.

The bottom line is that unless you really need the extra water bodies and the rural roads we don't show, R&R will not enhance FTX to the point where it adds to the experience. I can highly recommend Christian's  Mountains of Victoria 20m mesh (it's superb!) or take Christian up on his offer to refund you the price of R&R if it does not meet your expectations. It's really your own choice.

R&R of V is an excellent addon especially when combined with Christians 20m mesh.  However even in FS9 there are conflicts when used with VOZ particularly in the Melbourne CBD area and near coastlines where VOZ objects such as lighthouses appear misplaced due to different data sources use for the two products.

Bruceb

Thanks Koorby for the info. All I really wanted from R&R was the inland lakes with their shorelines as well as the rivers which look beautiful from the screenshots, but not if I have to sacrifice FTX roads etc. I was hoping that Christian may make these available to suit FTX as a separate release. I would love also to see his mesh for N.S.W and QLD.

Here's a quote by John from another thread in regards to Mesh data.  As to the other point if the Victoria river data were to be repackaged for FTX I would most certainly buy it. 

A "little bird" told me that NASA and the US Govt. are planning to make publicly available much higher resolution terrain elevation data for all of Australia. This comes from a source whose bread and butter is working with this sort of data, although he could not elaborate at the time. This data had previously been held in embargo after 9/11 but is now being considered to be released. Don't quote me though, as these things sometimes have a habit of being more rumour than fact, even if well intentioned. However, the moment free higher resolution data is available, then we'll be sure to release a higher resolution mesh. I for one, want it asap as well 

As Christian alluded to - working with the ridiculous licensing restrictions imposed by the various state governments and their desire to make massive profits from data already paid for by the taxpayers, means that licensing the existing high resolution data is pretty much commercially unviable.

Archived