Raising the Bar

mike stout

I fly P3D with Orbx products and they have enhanced my sim world greatly. Now Microsoft is getting back in the game and it looks like they have taken it to the next level at least in the scenery area. I am heavily invested in P3D, Orbx , 3rd party airports and other addons. I was wondering if Orbx has a plan to fight back and take their products to the next level? I hope so. I have not heard anything from P3D and wonder how it will shake down for them. I think to some degree its the same for X Plane. I did see something on You Tube last night from a product called Ortho4XP and it looked pretty good. It was a landing in Boise Id. where I live and it looked accurate as far as I could see. I thought this might be something I could live with if it was available. I would not go near this product unless Orbx could refine it and put it into a package for easy download.  I guess I am looking for a good reason to stay with P3D and Orbx.  

Thank for Listening.... Mike Stout

Hi Mike,

Though I am not an XP11 user, I do know that Ortho4XP is simply a tool that allows an XP11 user to convert satellite imagery (like you might find on Google Earth or Bing Maps) into a terrain overlay.   Orbx is the leading provider, today, of the "next level" beyond the old Orbx full fat regions. Besides high resolution satellite imagery, the Orbx "TrueEarth" line of scenery also includes accurately placed buildings and trees and appropriate 3D objects  with hundreds of additonal carefully modeled landmarks (stadiums, buildings, POIs etc.) that match the scenery locations.  No one else offers anything equal or better today!  

I can only assume the Orbx will be doing TrueEarth Idaho sometime in the future since it is coverd by the Central Rocky Mountains region today.  Have you tried any of the TrueEarth sceneries yet?  Of course, the only P3D versions so far are the 3 Great Britain TrueEarth products as well as the Netherlands.  I have them all though I also live in the US.  

If you only like flying in your area of the US, then it won't be too long before TrueEarth US Washington will be avaiilable for P3D and you can try it for yourself.  If you can't wait, you could always try XP11 now and immediately get TrueEarth US Washington and TrueEarth US Oregon.   For myself, I have decided to be patient and stick with my one simulator for the moment, Prepar3D.  

As far as Microsoft goes, that is a future and I have no doubt that when the new Microsoft product becomes available, Orbx's partnership with  Microsoft will be just as productive as its partnerships are now with the current two biggest flight simulation vendors:  X-Plane and Lockheed Martin (Prepar3D).   

Rod

Thanks for the info Rod it is  greatly appreciated. I know about True Earth but, was under the impression that it was a very large file. I am building a 737 cockpit and right now I only fly in the US and keep United VA to keep track of my flights. I fly high all of the time so you would think that super detailed scenery would not be such a big thing to me but, it is. I have been flight simming for 25 years and watched it come a long way. If MS2020 does pan out I hope there will still be plenty of work for all the 3rd party devs. 

Thanks... Mike Stout

Hi Mike,

I have been flight simming for 35 years and you are right, it has come a long way.  By the way,  the TrueEarth releases for P3D take about 1/3 of the disk that X-Plane releases take due to the fact that P3D scenery files pack much, much more efficiently that X-plane scenery files .  TrueEarth Washington for X-Plane in HD take a little over 200GB so I am hoping it will be well under 100 GB for P3D.   It is quite possible that TrueEarth Washington SD (a little lower def but looks the same at a higher elevations) might be  as little as 25GB so the large files may not be as bad as you think.

Rod

Archived