how do you know if you have overclocked to much?help wanted.

timmo32

well guys ive worked out the basics here ,knowing that over temp is a sign of ecessive overclock,my temp under full load is max 74 degrees,ive removed 4 gig of ram from my system making 6 gig in total,the problem i get is flightsim freezes when flying for more then 2 hours,flightsim it self just freezes not the pc it self,an extra 4 gig of ram was intalled when the overclock was done,me thinking that faulty ram causing the problem i removed it but it still freezes,my system is overclocked to 4.1 gigs with 6 gig of ram ,any ideas guys,cheers.if you need anymore info on my system i will provide more if this was not enoughf ,thanks.

hey mate i got prime 95 will it tell you if you went to far overclock,i ran it for 30 mins tho was that enough time,if it failed and shows a error msg wat will it say ?and will it tell wat overclock is best for my system cheers mate.

No, it won't tell you what clock speed is best, just whether your cores can run this intensive program without errors.  You should run it at least an hour and a half or two hours.  What will happen is that each core will run the prime number equations over and over, and if an error occurs, it will say so for whichever core failed.  You just have to scroll through each list of messages for each core to see whether each run passed or failed. 

What you need to do is lower your clock speed until you can run this program without ANY errors and not get a BSOD. 

There's no program that diagnoses your system and tells you what clock speed to run.  You just have to settle on the right speed by trial and error, running this sort of program and checking temps.  There's lots of good info on how to do this on the web.  But there are no shortcuts.  You just have to learn what you're doing and put in the time testing. 

Good luck.

well guys i backed off the overclock just a little from 4.1 to 3.9 and the pc ran good up to 4 hours of trouble free flying ,no freezing so fingers crossed it stays like that ,anyway thanks for your help its all a learning curve for us,me especialy me ;D

Archived