SAM indicated not being installed even when it is

WebMaximus

Just updated Orbx Central to the latest release.

Any chance you could implement a check in Orbx Central whether SAM has already been installed? As you can see below, even when I already have it installed and it's working just fine, Orbx Central tells me it's not installed.

image.thumb.png.1d4e09c159370b9609819279ef1f7908.png

Hello!

Orbx Central determines whether SAM is installed or not based on a version file. In earlier versions of SAM, it shipped with a version file that we used to detect existing installations. In later versions of SAM, this file was removed. Therefore, we have longer have a way of detecting if you have SAM installed (and if so, what version).  If you press install on SAM in Central (and you haven't changed the path it defaults to), Central will scan your installation, verify all the files match the latest version we have and then recognise it as installed.

Why not just check on a folder/file-level if it's installed? Should be super easy and if a version file is missing, simply report the version as unknown.

That way you would at least have a correct indication if it's installed or not.

Reason I don't want to manage my SAM installation via your software is it's being used by many other scenery developers as well and I've seen in the past how the version installed by Central isn't always the most current one.

Just now, WebMaximus said:

Why not just check on a folder/file-level if it's installed? Should be super easy and if a version file is missing, simply report the version as unknown.

It is easy on the surface, but modifying the versioning system used for hundreds of products to recognise a single special case isn't worth the added complexity it would bring ;)

• 3 weeks later...

I installed SAM via Central.  When I click on "Seasons" or TE (I have TE Washington SD and TEGB N,C,S) I see no effect whatsoever even though it takes about 7 minutes to "install (or perhaps update) scenery.  Also, in some of the .ini scenery files that I've looked through, I see a SAM_Library entry.  Although I do have a SAM_Library installed in my Custom Scenery folder, no such entry exists in my scenery_packs.ini  

I went ahead and manually downloaded the SAM_Seasons_1.0.2 and the Scenery Animation Manager 2.0.4, but I have no idea if they're needed or where to put which files if I am indeed missing files from the Central install of SAM. 

Truly am having fun taking daily excursions around Washington State - being cooped up because of covid-19 is no fun, but flying is.  Thanks Orbx and X-Plane 11.  And thanks to anyone who can respond to answer my questions.  Scott 

scenery_packs.ini

Archived