Going hardware shopping for the first time!!

Baheej

Hello Everyone,

I'm going out tonight to buy a new PSU and Graphics card for my computer (I'll be ordering all the PNW stuff soon so in need to upgrade). I'm looking at the GTX260 right now and it seems to have pretty good reviews. There are 2 reasons why I don't think I'll go for a higher card...1. money, 2. I don't think my CPU will take anything higher. As for the PSU, I know I need at least 600W (or something like that) for the graphics card. This is where i need some outside opinion. I run a Core2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.40 GHz with a measly 8600GT. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

-Baheej

PS Is there any point in considering ATI?

ATI has some great cards, but honestly, if FSX is your focus, I would go with Nvidia. For your PSU, make sure you get a good name brand, such as Antec, OCZ, Corsair, etc. You can check Newegg to see which are the big sellers and have the best reviews.

good luck in your shopping!

@sniper31: I'm glad to hear it. This makes me feel less nervous about my "first time" choice. The guy at Fry's was really helpful and gave some information I didn't know.

Thanks to both of you for your help but now comes the tricky part: getting that 11- inch monster into my case!!  :-;D 

Archived