Gold Coast aircraft shadows

flyer1

Hi, Is it possible to get aircraft shadows on the Gold Coast and Southport runways as I can’t make it work? I get the shadows when aircraft leave the runway surface and go on the dirt for example and also when I use other Orbx airports so the shadow settings are turned on. Is there a simple explanation for this? I’ve tried all of the lighting settings. Thanks.

The paved areas are just above the ground. Shadows are shown on the ground, but not on the "hovering" pavement just above it. A hint of what is happening is when the tyres sink more than usual into the pavement. I don't have knowledge in developing airports so I don't know if it is a relative easy fix (although I doubt it).

Thanks for the reply. I agree this seems to be what is happening. Highly detailed textures have been applied above the level of the runways but the benefit is lost if aircraft look unrealistic without shadows (apart from making it harder to land when viewed outside). Orbx is there a way to reset the height of the textures so shadows are visible?

I'm not seeing any issues with ground shadows at either of the Gold Coast airports. My aircraft wheels all sit nicely on the ground with no elevation issues at all. Could you confirm this is with P3D v4 please.

It may be helpful if you could post a screenshot or two so we can identify if you have a rogue texture floating about.

This is how YBCG looks on my machine from roughly the same location. All ground shadows are visible. I have never seen an issue with ground shadows even during the beta stage of this airport.

yHcDUTq.jpg

This is the Control Panel for the latest version.

1LrA0nh.jpg

Can you update or preferably uninstall and reinstall the airport and see if the issue persists. If you uninstall, please check that all files from the original install have been removed before installing again.

Uninstalled and then reinstalled. Same problem persists, but now southern apron has trees on it. I note that I still have the "old" configuration options, although I did have the "new" one at some stage in the past.

Thanks for the response. I am running P3DV4.5 with the CityScene Gold Coast and Australia V2 installed. I have uninstalled and reinstalled Gold Coast and still have the missing shadows at Gold Coast and Southport Airports. I have the same look as Petfly the tires below the surface. I notice in your Control Panel it has the option for Australia V2 compatibility but I only have FTX Australia, the same as Petfly. I have updated my Orbx Central to the latest V4.0.39 but it still has FTX Australia even though I have Australia V2 installed. Could this be the problem?

gold2.JPG

gold3.JPG

gold4.JPG

Sorry, I asked for a screenshot of your YBCS folder but I should have asked for the YBCG folder. Your folder does seem fine though as it contains the same files as mine so all is good there.

You are missing the AUv2 files in YSPT as well as the AUv2 Control Panel but that should not cause your shadow issue. I will take that up with the Orbx Central guys as it would appear to be an installer problem.

In the meantime, could you please check that you have Options - Lighting - Simulation Objects set to Receive within P3D.

As we've accidentally discovered your YBCS Cairns file structure, (thanks to my Dyslexia) I should point out that you have a number of duplicate files which will prevent your Control Panel for that airport from working. I would suggest you uninstall YBCS Cairns, manually delete the ORBX/FTX_AU/FTXAA_YBCS/Scenery folder and reinstall the airport again.  

Thank you Graham for your persistence. The Options - Lighting - Sim Objects corrected the shadow situation.

I also found Gold Coast Cityscene near the top of the orbx airport sceneries in the scenery library (above YBCG and YSPT), so I moved it toward the bottom (under YBCG and YSPT) and this fixed the trees on the southern tarmac of YBCG (as well as other problems).

Have not tested the YBCG central configuration, but with the two major problems fixed, this is just an annoyance as far as I'm concerned.

Thanks again.

I have uninstalled both Gold Coast and Cairns airports making sure the folders are removed before reinstalling. Your message said YBCS so I reinstalled it and have 71 files in the scenery folder. The shadows still don’t show though. The XML file worked and I turned on the Australia V2 and Cityscene options. 

Archived