Problem instaling TE Oregon in a different HDD

Mauri_Spain

Dear Friends,

I have a problem with installing XP11 TrueEarth Oregon. 

I have a 1 TB F: unit and a second 512 GB G: unit 

Up to now I have had installed all TrueEarth XP11 sceneries in my F:\X-Plane 11 main folder. No problems. 

However, I have no enough free space in that unit F to install my new TE Oregon on it. Before purchasing Oregon, I read in Orbx Central User Guide that:

“Libraries are an easy way to manage where your Orbx products get installed to (similar to libraries in Steam). One use-case for libraries allows you to install your Orbx products on a different drive to the core simulator. This can have performance benefits - especially if the new drive is an SSD.”

So, I wanted to install Oregon in the G: unit.

What I have done is:

With Orbx Central, I have created a new library called “My Library” on the unit G

With Orbx Central, I have chosen to install (Via WEB, not manual installing) Oregon in that new Library

When Orbx Central finished the installing, everything seemed to be OK because it says:

Product Installed. Version 1.1.0 is currently installed and up to date. Installed into My Library

I close Orbx Central.

However, when I want to start a new flight in XP11 in KSPB - Scappoose Industrial Airpark (Inside Oregon Area), XP11 says:

“Error, could not locate image file for terrain
Custom Sceney/Orbx_C_US_Oregon_TE_Orthos/terrain/ba10x4f50x17SM.ter
Custom Sceney/Orbx_C_US_Oregon_TE_Orthos/terrain/
../textures/ba10x4f50x17.dds”

And XP11 CTD.

However these files, YES, there are inside the folders.

I have no problem with flights in the other TE regions (Installed in the main XP folder in F: unit)

I would thank you if you could help me to solve this.
Best regards!!!
M.

(Good night from Spain)

The error message is indicating that the installation process is not complete, particularly the conversion process where the jpg files are converted to dds format files. The dds files will be upto 2 times bigger than jpg files so there may be a disk space shortage.

However, I am assuming that you are referring to the HD version of TE Oregon?

Please open the TE Oregon/orthos/texture folder and in the search box enter .jpg (dot jpg). If you have any jpg files in there it will mean the conversion process is incomplete.

To rectify that I need to know what freespace you have left on your G drive. Remember that TE Oregon will require a full 225Gb of disk space.

I don't think you have enough free space on the G drive.

Hi Jon,

Thank you very much for your anwser!!!

Yes, I have HD Oregon version

In Orbx_C_US_Oregon_TE_Orthos\textures folder I can find 76 files *.jpg, with 40.005.226 bytes.

In the unit G: (Where I wanted to install Oregon), I had free 260 GB before install it. Now I have free 40.8 GB

The OREGON installation has:

• 219 GB
  • 58.512 files and 150 folders.

Moreover, the Windows temp folder is located in another unit (C:), where W10 is installed.

I have tried the "installing manual version" and the result is the same.

What I don´t understand is that ORBX Central says that "Product Installed. Version 1.1.0 is currently installed and up to date"

Thank you again!!!
M.

It will say that you have all the files installed and up to date but it cannot see if the files have been converted from jpg to dds.

I still think that you don't have enough space. The reason you have jpg files in there is because the conversion has stopped. A converted jpg to dds format files is over twice the size of a jpg file, so you still have 76 jpg files to convert.

I attach a programme to convert the jpg files still needing conversion, but do not guarantee that ALL the jpg files will be converted due to potential lack of disk space.

It would be much simpler for you to uninstall the HD version of TE Oregon and install the SD version which will look just as good from 2500ft a the HD version and will only use about 59 GB of disk space. Faster loading, less disk space and allows higher graphics settings to compensate any perceived loss of image quality. I use all the SD versions of TE USA.

Drop this attached programme into the TE Oregon/orthos/texture folder and then click on it. It will convert the jpg files to dds.

Convert.cmd

Hi Jon,

Thank you very much for your CMD and your hints.

I´ll try your cmd when I´m home. Right now, I´m at work.

If it doesn´t work I´ll try to uninstall HD and install SD. But it will be sad, because I have a powerfull PC to fly HD. In the other TE sceneries (GB South, Central, North, Washington and NorthCA) I have HD and I like it very much.

I´´ll be back to inform you.

Thanks!!!
M.

Just now, Mauri_Spain said:

Hi Jon,

Thank you very much for your CMD and your hints.

I´ll try your cmd when I´m home. Right now, I´m at work.

If it doesn´t work I´ll try to uninstall HD and install SD. But it will be sad, because I have a powerfull PC to fly HD. In the other TE sceneries (GB South, Central, North, Washington and NorthCA) I have HD and I like it very much.

I´´ll be back to inform you.

Thanks!!!
M.

As you know your powerful PC is not the problem Your problem will be solved by adding another HDD.

Hi Jon,

Please, don´t take the next words as a complain (I thank you very much your hints. I know that, with your helping, this will be finally resolved): 

I´m agree that the power of my PC it´s not the problem. But I would like to fly HD because my PC can handle it.

In the system requirements of TE Oregon I saw that it´s necessary 225 GB free. 

• I had 260 free GB in the unit where I wanted to install Oregon (G:)
  • I have 400 GB free in the main unit where W10 is installed (C:).  
  • However I only have 40 free GB in the unit (F:) where I have XP11 (With the rest of TE scenaries).

Up to now, all the TE scenaries has been installing with no problem. This is the first time I find issues. 

Thank you!!!!
M.

Hi Jon,

You were right and your advice has been successful. 

I tried your CMD, with the installed HD version, and it worked well. 

Then I tried to unistall HD and install SD version. And it worked too.

So I thought: “Well, it could be a problem of free space”

And finally I unistalled SD, I remove all the files in the unit G: in order to have 0.5 TB available. Then I install HD and everything was OK. 

So the problem is that not only 225 GB, but also an additional 60 or 70 GB are needed, even if the W10 temporary folder  is in another drive.

Thank you!!!
Best regards
M.

Archived