i5 v i7 CPU?

Tonyla1

I note that the Intel CORE i5 670/3.46GHz/4MB CACHE/LGA1156 cpu sells for $359.00AUS and the Intel CORE i7 930/2.8GHz/4.8GT

QPT/8MB CACHE/LGA1 s366 sells for $379.00AUS

Not a great difference in price. Given that the i5 runs at 3.46GHZ stock would that be better in FSX than the i7?

I guess this might depend on overclocking ability, and what would the 4MB cache do compared with the 8MB?

I'm not very computer savy when it comes to hardware so these are probably silly questions.

Any thoughts would be appreciated

Tony

Well for a start the i5 670 is only a dual core CPU with 4 threads (twice the number of threads as a Standard Core 2 Duo) which basically translates into having twice the amount of paths that the OS can send data through the chip, to the OS the CPU is a Quad but its still only flushing through the data into 2 Cores. As for the Cores we all know the more Cores and higher Clock speed the better FSX will run ;D Also you can get the i7 930 for $338 from Austin Computers (WA) and the i5 670 for $327 from ARC Computers (NSW)

I have just bought an i5 650 (3.2 gig, dual core, GPU in/on the CPU/chip package, ASUS P7 H55D-M Evo Mobo) for my media centre - looks like an over kill for a media centre - the Windows experience Index for the processor is rated at 7 the same as my i7 920 on my main pc.

Archived