Problems with EGNX

John-bc

Bought Orbx EGNX for X-Plane a week ago. Since then I have had problems with low memory. Many flights were terminated because of insufficient memory. Also an error message about compatibility with OpenGL. Looked on the forum for answers. There appear to be quite a few with problems with this airport (mainly to do with fps reduction). It appears that car park lighting may be a problem. However in order to still use X-Plane I have had to uninstall this software. The flights appear to run OK without memory problems. I'll wait for an update (hopefully) before using this software again.

Jon,

I'm using TEGB South. I also have Cardiff and Southampton airports by Orbx and both work well. I'm using an Intel i7-4790 processor with 8gb ram and Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660. Also using windows 10. Whilst using EGNX I was constantly having memory problems - after restarting and loading X-Plane I got low memory before I'd taken off on one occasion. Since deleting EGNX I have had at least 10 flights without any memory problems.

Just now, John-bc said:

Jon,

I'm using TEGB South. I also have Cardiff and Southampton airports by Orbx and both work well. I'm using an Intel i7-4790 processor with 8gb ram and Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660. Also using windows 10. Whilst using EGNX I was constantly having memory problems - after restarting and loading X-Plane I got low memory before I'd taken off on one occasion. Since deleting EGNX I have had at least 10 flights without any memory problems.

Unfortunately your PC specs do not meet the recommended specs for using XP with an addon like TEGB South and EGNX unless ALL your graphics settings are set to  low. Both those addons are resource demanding. Your CPU may well be OK but 8GB of RAM and a 1660 with low vram it's going to severely struggle. An update of the addon is not going to solve your problem. An upgrade of RAM and GPU will. Cardiff and Southampton may work OK but they are not as demanding resource wise as EGNX nor in a particularly heavily autogen/buildings populated area of TEGB South in comparison say to EGLC London City or Heathrow or Manchester.

Jon,

I use this setup when flying into Birmingham, Manchester and Liverpool with the 'Number of world objects' set to high and I have no problems with memory. When flying into Heathrow I tend to set the number of world objects to Medium - again with no problems. EGNX is not a built up area with Loughborough 10 miles away and Leicester 20 miles away. The GPU readings are quite low for most flying. I have increased the RAM to 16GB. 

There are also a number of referrals on the forum to reduced fps when using this airport. I do feel that there is more to this than upgrading my graphics card.

Your GPU couldwell be OK but erring on the lower side of recommended spec. 16GB of RAM will most certainly help. EGNX is a resource demanding airport as it adopts 2K high res buildings and full PBR integration with ortho, buildings, vehicles and ground textures. That maybe the area that was resulting in Memory failure.

Now you have 16GB RAM have yo tried EGNX with the same settings you use for Birmingham? One of the fps increase settings is to have your Texture Quality down to High and a reduction of AA setting will also free up fps.

Jon,

Thank you for that information. I have re-installed EGNX and using the default C172 I have made a brief flight around the airport (number of world objects set to High; aa settings low at 2x). I'm getting between 35 - 40 fps before take off and during the flight. Hopefully the increase to 16 GB might have been the answer. I'll test it further over the next few days and report back. Thank you for your help.

Archived