Another Problem with ORBX GB South

Kris de Beere

Had a problem with GB South several days ago (no scenery only water at a couple of airports) which I believed had been resolved, but unfortunately it has happened again albeit at different locations. Since the first problem several things have happened. ORBX GB Central has been installed  in which I have experienced no problems. However, I have encountered the missing scenery problem again on two occasions in ORBX GB South. The first with Bristol (surrounded by water), for this GB South was completely uninstalled and reinstalled and validated. The thinking being that on the first install there was something wrong with the Global Scenery folder, which may have impacted the install of GB South. The Global Scenery folder was also rebuilt rebuilt following the reinstall of ORBX GB South. This resolved the problem with Bristol, but this morning attempting to fly from Brighton and again no scenery but plenty of water. I then flew over Brighton (from Shoreham) and everything looks AOK. Whether I have made those reinstalls in the correct order I don't know.

The size of the Global Scenery folder is now 4.72GB, Western Europe only. Have attached the .ini file.

Regards,

Kris

scenery_packs.ini

2 hours ago, Kris de Beere said:

Had a problem with GB South several days ago (no scenery only water at a couple of airports) which I believed had been resolved, but unfortunately it has happened again albeit at different locations. Since the first problem several things have happened. ORBX GB Central has been installed  in which I have experienced no problems. However, I have encountered the missing scenery problem again on two occasions in ORBX GB South. The first with Bristol (surrounded by water), for this GB South was completely uninstalled and reinstalled and validated. The thinking being that on the first install there was something wrong with the Global Scenery folder, which may have impacted the install of GB South. The Global Scenery folder was also rebuilt rebuilt following the reinstall of ORBX GB South. This resolved the problem with Bristol, but this morning attempting to fly from Brighton and again no scenery but plenty of water. I then flew over Brighton (from Shoreham) and everything looks AOK. Whether I have made those reinstalls in the correct order I don't know.

The size of the Global Scenery folder is now 4.72GB, Western Europe only. Have attached the .ini file.

Regards,

Kris

scenery_packs.ini 1.76 kB · 3 downloads

I am struggling to determine the problem here. Your SP.ini looks fine. You say all that has changed is that you have now got Orbx Central, and that you have reinstalled TEGB South. You also say you tried to fly from Brighton but no scenery, then you say you flew over brighton(Shoreham) and all was OK. So is there a problem if all is OK?

Installing TEGB South has absolutely no effect on Global Scenery. Global Scenery is the default scenery and the only reason it may have helped your last problem with only water appearing , was that it was on the East coast of UK and may have been affected by lack of Global Scenery(default) covering the rest of the English channel/France area.

What files are in your yOrtho Overlay folder? If I recall you had some Ortho4XP files installed previously that ran in a line across from Bristol to Southend. It seems strange you are getting problems in more or less the same areas as before. Disable that yOrtho folder and see if things improve. If that doesn't work then the next option is:

I don't know how much disk space you have but all i can now suggest is that you expand the area of coverage of Global Scenery to cover the whole of Europe and Scandinavia. That you uninstall TEGB South  via Orbx Central and then reinstall it with a fresh download/install and not from any backup copy. It's going to take a while but I have run out of ideas I'm afraid.

As I mentioned in my previous response to your previous post about water instead of scenery, water is displayed when no Global Scenery for that area is available, but you have TEGB South installed so the airports within that scenery should not be water.

Attach your XP Log.txt next.

Hi Jon,  Thanks for the advice. I went a little further and decided to remove all the Ortho4XP stuff including the yOrtho4XP_Overlays, then modified the .ini file in accordance. Then expanded Global Scenery to the whole of Europe, then uninstalled ORBC TEBG South using ORBX Central and then reinstalled using ORBX Central.

Now when starting X Plane and selecting an airport (Cardiff in this case) received the following:

Error, Could not locate image file for terrain

Custom Scenery/Orbx_C_GB_South_TrueEarth_Orthos/terrain/a8f0xfbd0x17M.ter

Custom Scenery/Orbx_C_GB_South_TrueEarth_Orthos/terrain/../textures/1510x1f70M.pmg

Maybe I'd better reinstall X Plane and start from scratch but initially using only ORBX.

The message indicates an incomplete install and or download. have you read the following topic?

https://orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/162971-true-earth-products-solutions-for-installation-problems/ Note towards the end o fthe samples given is a piece which shows a message similar to the message you are receiving.

I also attach the missing ter file mentioned in the message, but i think that even if you insert it into the TEGB South Orthos/Terrain folder, you will get a similar message upon restart indicating another named missing ter file.

The best way is to Verify Files again for TEGB South. You are sure you are letting the whole download/extraction/conversion/install routine run it's full course.? It should take upto a couple of hours depending on your PC specs. Also confirm where you are installing it to, XP directory or a new Library. I'm still not convinced about the need to reinstall XP cos the problem seems to lie in the TEGB install. You could try first of all removing ALL addons except Orbx TEGB and Orbx Libs for xp, after having verified TEGB South.

a8f0xfbd0x17M.ter

I need to know the file sizes of the 3 folders of TEGB South that you have. the Folders are Custom/Overlay & Orthos. Right click on each individual folder and choose Properties. Save a pic of each and post them here. I also need to see a pic of the problem your are having because it is unique.

Hi, Have now been to about a half dozen airports around the South Coast of GB and all are working satisfactorily. The exception is Brighton airport which is still surrounded by water but not too bothered about that. I think maybe I didn't validate TEBG South following the last download/install, but I swear it finished all of its operations. Anyway, all is well now and I'd like to thank you for your knowledge and patience.

Regards,

Kris

57 minutes ago, Kris de Beere said:

Hi, Have now been to about a half dozen airports around the South Coast of GB and all are working satisfactorily. The exception is Brighton airport which is still surrounded by water but not too bothered about that. I think maybe I didn't validate TEBG South following the last download/install, but I swear it finished all of its operations. Anyway, all is well now and I'd like to thank you for your knowledge and patience.

Regards,

Kris

Good news.Let's hope this lasts:) 

Post a pic of Brighton surrounded by water please. I also suggest that you Verify Files for your copy of Orbx Shoreham (Brighton) The file of the airport  Orbx_EGKA_A_Shoreham should be 755MB and Shoreham Roads EGKA_B_Shoreham_Roads should be 10.1MB. Looks like you could have an incomplete install of EGKA.

Hi.  I just want to say that I wish i had seen this picture at least a week ago !!!

I now know exactly what you are doing wrong and why you are seeing water.

In XP Flight Configuration you are selecting "Brighton". The airport in Brighton in XP is a small airfield in the centre of the USA.

There is no Brighton Airport in the UK. It is known as Shoreham and it's ICAO is EGHK NOT Brighton. You have been selecting airports by the name of the town rather than their ICAO and have therefore been unknowingly going to airports Like Brighton & Bristol which are not in TEGB, not in UK and for which you have no Global Scenery installed.

Take a look at the 3 pics I attach. The first is on the runway (not a suitable plane I admit !) and you will see the houses on the left are the same as in your pic. The second pic shows a ma of exactly where that pic was taken. No where near Brighton in GB but in the USA.

I hope you now can fly without thinking you have "phantom" problems:lol:

Your reported problem has been a really difficult one to work out, but now you posted that picture it all became very obvious. It says in the error message that the missing file is

+40-90/+43-086 dsf. These are coordinates and relate to the area of the world in picture number 3 which has a town called brighton in it.

Now go fly happily knowing you don't have a problem at all, except now remember to be more specific in choosing an airport not just by a name of the town or city you think it is called. Enter the ICAO to be sure you are going to the right place.

Have fun:)

2.thumb.JPG.e08f915346ef5ade24910cc2167f1669.JPG

1.thumb.JPG.3b507d37c3248c7e567cdb423834175a.JPG

Inked3_LI.thumb.jpg.9558cb733dcbf41915d691f3669ac928.jpg

Archived