Advice on FSX monitor resolution?

Guest markabcan

Guest markabcan

Hi all,

After purchasing my new FSX rig I'm now looking for a new monitor.  I've done some research and the whole resolution debate seems a little overwhelming.  My preference is a 22" monitor which I had originally planned to run at 1920 x 1080.  It seems this may be a fps killer, would it be wise to lower the resolution one notch and buy a slightly less capable monitor?  I'll be running a GTX285 and i7 960 (probably slightly overclocked) if that is important...

Thanks in advance for any responses!

Mark

My system is Q6600 O/C to 3.2 GHz and uses the 1 GB GTX 285 to run 1980 x 1200 at 30 FPS [locked] with absolutely no difficulty/issues.  The important thing to do is to run your monitor at it's "native" size.  I cannot imagine that you would have any issues with 1980 x 1080 on the end of an i7 etc.  Enjoy it when you get there.

Maurice.

i just went from a 22 " to a 27" samsung ,i gotta say hell yeah its shit hot :) at the 1920x1080 (got it harvey norman 820 buks) , havent done any simmin yet but its gonna b great

,i also got gtx 285 with oc to 3.3 IMHO spend up if you alredy got the hardware!!!

Guest markabcan

Thanks guys,

That eases my mind a bit that my hardware should easily be capable of higher resolutions.  I was also wondering about the 2ms vs 5ms refresh rate debate, if the difference really noticeable in a program like FSX?  True 2ms monitors (not GtoG) are pretty tough to come by!

Mark

2ms vs 5ms is meaningless in FSX and pretty much anything else.  Most people would be hard pressed to notice anything less than 10ms in a FPS Game.  In a sim like FSX where instanteous response to a control input doesn't happen you'll never notice the difference.  Also, most TN based panels can only go that fast via overvolting which causes different artifacts.  Just buy a monitor from a respected vendor that has gotten decent reviews and you should be fine.

I was also wondering about the 2ms vs 5ms refresh rate debate

Since they are two different things ,

Where you see 2 Ms or 5 Ms that it the response time or the time it takes the individual pixel to either switch on or change state from red to green to blue

Refresh rate is the speed at which the monitor refills the entire screen with image as sent by the GPU.

The Biggest thing that you will notice with any monitor is the Contrast ration, some LED/LCD TV's that some use as monitors are very low in 1500-3000:1 where high quality monitors will be in the order of 8000-12000:1

In other words a 2 ms 8000:1 100 hz monitor is far superior to a 5ms, 2000:1 60 hz giving a crisper faster image brighter image.

Guest markabcan

I was also wondering about the 2ms vs 5ms refresh rate debate

Since they are two different things ,

Where you see 2 Ms or 5 Ms that it the response time or the time it takes the individual pixel to either switch on or change state from red to green to blue

Refresh rate is the speed at which the monitor refills the entire screen with image as sent by the GPU.

The Biggest thing that you will notice with any monitor is the Contrast ration, some LED/LCD TV's that some use as monitors are very low in 1500-3000:1 where high quality monitors will be in the order of 8000-12000:1

In other words a 2 ms 8000:1 100 hz monitor is far superior to a 5ms, 2000:1 60 hz giving a crisper faster image brighter image.

Thanks for the clarification, I've found a good looking LED lit BenQ monitor with 1080P resolution, 5ms response rate, and a 5,000,000:1 dynamic contrast ratio. Will probably pick it up and give it a shot.

Mark

You'll have no problems, I have a very similar system, running through a 1080p LCD.

After a bit of faffing with Bufferpools and TBM's it now runs at 20+ with everything maxed over urban scenery, well over 30-70 in less complex areas.

Mark,

Sorry for the late reply, but I've been away from civilization for the past week.

Anyhow, I am running a 28" i-INC LCD monitor at 1920x1200 resolution and it has not affected my FPS or smoothness of flight in a negative manner whatsoever. The image quaility is amazing! Very clear and crisp, plus its a very affordable monitor.

Archived