Bougth Skagit, can’t install "There are no downloads available for this product"

This is turning into an episode of Fawlty Towers and yes, you may call me Basil because I hired O'Reilly's. Richard Lincoln (Orbx Simulation System) means that this is NOT a purchase issue, so I have to go out on forum and look for the answer. I have no problems with Washington, GB or any of all my airports.

...and yes, Nick I’ve tried ORBX Central on my pc like I always do with my €500 ORBX stuff.

I’m breathing....still. I started, as always the DL on ORBX central. It was there I got the "There are no files to download". As I’m not on my now pc I just looked to see on my iPad what manual download and as you can see if I chose another airport here, it says manual. I’ll give my pc a try later today, but yesterday it was impossible to DL. Just saw that I made a screenshot from Orbx central yesterday.

E3E9031D-ABAD-4AA6-9A86-DEBC6194251C.png

skagit.png

Hello.

FTX Central is not the same thing as Orbx Central and you will need to use Orbx Central to install Skagit into X Plane 11.

This is FTX Central, do not use it to install Skagit, it does not work.

5.jpg

This is ORBX Central, do use this to install Skagit, it does work.

4.jpg

Here is an image of Orbx Central when there are no files. You will see that the error message wording and format is quite different.

6.jpg

37 minutes ago, Nick Cooper said:

From post number 2 of this topic.

Nick, just a suggestion but is it worth Orbx considering a different tack regarding naming/publicising ORBX Central? If you don't hang around here on the forum it would be (and apparently is) easy to miss the distinction between the FTXC ond ORBX Central. The orbx direct page just has a box that says "get Central" which is doesn't really say much to someone who is just a casual or occasional visitor to the Orbx environment (unlike the sad b*****d's like me who live here). Yes, I know the product page says you need ORBX Central to download and install but for someone who has already got FTX Central and doesn't follow the news here that doesn't really indicate the need to get a completely new installer.

I know you wouldn't want to rename the product at this point, but a bit more clarity on the sales page would help avoid issues such as this. And given that plenty of people, myself included I admit, have issues with Orbx Central already it surely must be a good thing to not add further grumbly customers?

Hello,

I take the point and as you will see, have not implied any criticism for the misunderstanding in this topic or any other.

There are two problems really, one the similarity in the names and the other is the myriad of

names given to the Orbx installer by customers.

Here are a few given to FTX Central

FTX

FTX 3

ObZ

ObX

Obs

Central

LIBS3

FTXC

Orbx Central

and already to Orbx Central

Central

Central 4

FTX

FTX 4

FTX Central 4

LIBS4

OC

Orbx OC

Because it is not an update but a whole new version, it cannot be automatically updated from FTX Central to Orbx Central,

which would have been the ideal solution.

We will have to continue to answer support questions posted in the forums, as we still do from time to time for users of FTX Central v2.

With due respect, it is also hard to persuade some customers to read all the way to the bottom of a product page, or blue and white notifications in

FTX Central, which is why we have so many support requests as a result of missing Orbx Libraries.

I can't see another effective way than the forums to notify customers of changes.

There are so many and also product releases, that an e mail shot each time would result in customers being bombarded with messages that most

of them would not want to read.

Support forums are widely used to announce changes by most developers who actually have one and it seems to work well enough.

Archived