Migration = download?

Hi,

I just installed V4 and tried to migrate the library to a different location.

Most of the installed scenery is going to be downloaded (partly?) again and move to the new folder. I don't understand why.
The sceneries where installed and available in V3 and in V4 in can differ between installed an not installed scenery.

Hope you can help me, otherwise it takes days to download everything again.

Guest Josh Koz

Hi,

If Orbx Central detects the product installed via FTX Central 3 you won't need to migrate. Everything should continue to work as it had before. A migration won't be necessary in this case unless you want to move the product to a library onto a different storage drive to free up space.

The migration process will attempt to copy all relevant files from the existing installation path. It will then scan to determine whatever is missing and download the missing files.

If you find the migration process needs to download a large chunk of the files again, attach your central.log file and we can look into why this the case.

Yes, this is my experience too.   I decided to set-up P3Dv4.5 with a fresh install and then used Orbx Central v4.0.2 to set-up my new Orbx Library.  I have the latest Manual Downloads but Central then proceeded to download the packages.

I have just finished Global Vector v1.6 with a new 8.15GB download.  The Manual Download file selected was "_fulOrbxVector160.zip" with a file size of 8.6GB.

Guest Josh Koz

Can you attach your central.log file so we can determine why the full product needed to be re-downloaded during migration?

Guest Josh Koz

Hi Pachow,

The central.log provided indicates that a migration was never initiated, only a regular installation.

Can you confirm that products had originally appeared as "installed" upon launching Central the first time?

If so, was the 'migrate to library' option visible? This appears in the options when Central detects the product installation and a migration is possible.

image.png

A fresh install of P3Dv4.5 is unlikely to have any products installed for Central to recognize and display these options.

Hi, as soon as I am back home I will upload the central.log.

i am 100% sure that, on my system, the products are shown as installed as shown above. And yes I would like to move my files to a different location thats why I chose

Migration to Library. V4 doesnt show any new update but by pressing migrate to library it "always" download some files or full inst. Thats really annoying as the speed

is quite low.

Hi Josh Koz,  as per my original message, this was a fresh install of P3Dv4.5 followed by my Orbx installations using the Manual Download method (i.e. selecting the required zip file).  So no, not a migration.  However, as of yesterday, I only had access to the Central v3 Manual Download files and I note today that Orbx has introduced new Manual Download files for Central v4 on the Direct portal.  

Guest Josh Koz

As the FTX Central 3 manual download files use a different packaging format from Central 4. You'll need to use the Central 4 manual zip to avoid additional downloading during a manual installation. 

If you don't want to download another manual zip, you can install via FTX Central 3 using the FTX Central 3 manual download zip, then perform a migration of the product in Orbx Central.

Hi Josh Koz, sure.  When Central V4 was initially released, these V4 Manual Download files were not available on the Orbx Direct portal.  I had assumed that the then current Manual Download files on the Portal could be installed by the new Central V4 release, similar to the migration of an existing Orbx scenery library that had been installed by Central V3.

Archived