New sims, new hardware

dominique

I am not asking what kind of hardware will be required by the new sims (FS20, v5) which would be futile.

My question is, are we going to see better 3D gaming CPU  in 2020 than we have now. For Intel , for instance,  the 9900k is top of the line but generates a lot of heat when overclocked if  am not mistaken. Will we see the next gen at 10 mm as powerful but inherently cooler ? What about Nividia  ?

I've not followed the road maps/announcements for quite some time now and am curious to know what you think.

I've always been a Wintel+Nvidia man but the question covers the other side too.

1 hour ago, dominique said:

I am not asking what kind of hardware will be required by the new sims (FS20, v5) which would be futile.

My question is, are we going to see better 3D gaming CPU  in 2020 than we have now. For Intel , for instance,  the 9900k is top of the line but generates a lot of heat when overclocked if  am not mistaken. Will we see the next gen at 10 mm as powerful but inherently cooler ? What about Nividia  ?

I've not followed the road maps/announcements for quite some time now and am curious to know what you think.

I've always been a Wintel+Nvidia man but the question covers the other side too.

Latest from Zen 2 users is that the new 7nm CPU pumps out more heat despite lower power draw than Zen+ and Intel. Suggested cause could be due to the decreased surface area of the transistors.
If this is true, Intel may struggle with temps on 10nm CPUs before they are given high OC by users. 5.0Ghz+ may become a thing of the past.

7nm CPUs from Intel are planned for a 2021 release.

Zen 3 (4000 series) is planned for next year, 7nm+ tech with some of the media expecting a 20% increase in transistor density over Zen 2.

Given how far off some of the rumours were just a few months ago about Zen 2, I would take this latest rumour with a huge pinch of salt.

I'm guessing that we will see a bigger push into VR (and 'mixed reality', check out the Microsoft / Airbus story) next year. Big, expensive 4K monitors / TVs will be slowly pushed out for more affordable and (eventually) easier to display gaming.

Shorter term, AMD have to start matching nVidia specs with their GPUs.
There's no ray tracing tech on the Navi cards yet and nVidia announced the 'Super' versions of their 2060 and 2070 GPUs. This forced AMD to drop the price of their 5700XT by $50 and their 5700 by $30 just two days prior to launch. Investors don't like that sort of reactionary 

Intel is rumoured to be considering the jump into the GPU sphere, maybe it will be them (unlikely given their CPU pricing).

Whatever is planned, we all need a disruptor in the GPU market. The prices of the latest GPUs are still inflated after the mad dash to cryptocurrencies, and with Bitcoin back approaching its previous peak value again, GPUs are going to be high in demand with miners (read: expensive).

My 2 cents.

Archived