Head tracking device and monitor size

I've procrastinated for years buying a head tracking device. I don't like the idea to have to shift my eyes 45° back to the left/right after having turned my head that much (poor eyesight). 

What I wonder is whether a large monitor would help. I sim with a 28" right now. Would going to 40/50"  size  feel more natural ? 

Hi Dominique. Over the years I’ve tried and had all the head tracking devices over the years but just could not get on with them. But that just might be me . As for the 40” tv think quite a few people on here use that size so they can better tell you than I can. I’m like you I have a 28” 2K monitor and that does me fine. Though wish now that I had gone the route of say a three monitor setup. Derek.

26 minutes ago, Dadtom65 said:

Thanks Derek. I get back to DCS these days where a track device would be a real plus as it could be in P3D for choppers. The three-monitor set up brings another issue : smoothness/ framerate, whatever you call it. You gotta push a lot of pixels and it does not answer entirely to the need.

Do they the monitors that is, never knew that. Yep I have DCS as well with the Spitfire and the missions. Got it started one time and pushed the throttle a bit to hard and next thing it was on it’s nose. :lol:. Must try again. Derek.

1 hour ago, Dadtom65 said:

Do they the monitors that is, never knew that. Yep I have DCS as well with the Spitfire and the missions. Got it started one time and pushed the throttle a bit to hard and next thing it was on it’s nose. :lol:. Must try again. Derek.

Ramming the throttle to the hilt on a WB is always a source of a major disconfort. Even more so if the brakes are on.

I use TrackIR 4, and have done since it first came out 10-15 years ago and cannot sim without it.  Monitor size is important, I used to use it on a 24" Dell Ultrasharp and agree it can give you sore eyes looking a little to the side.  You can however increase the percentage you move your move your head and how it compares to the movement in the virtual cockpit.  I have since changed to a 40" 4K monitor which sits less than 2 feet in front of me.  I can look left and right without actually having to move my eyes.  I do use it alongside Chaseplane which I simply use to swap camera positions like left / right seat, wing views etc but seriously do not know how anyone can use it solely as so unrealistic.

Chris

5 minutes ago, cjibbotson said:

I use TrackIR 4, and have done since it first came out 10-15 years ago and cannot sim without it.  Monitor size is important, I used to use it on a 24" Dell Ultrasharp and agree it can give you sore eyes looking a little to the side.  You can however increase the percentage you move you move your head and how it compares to the movement in the virtual cockpit.  I have since changed to a 40" 4K monitor which sits less than 2 feet in front of me.  I can look left and right without actually having to move my eyes.  I do use it alongside Chaseplane which I simply use to swap camera positions like left / right seat, wing views etc but seriously do not know how anyone can use it solely as so unrealistic.

Chris

Chris

Can't thank you enough, you're the first answering my exact question here or other forums. This is what I intuitively thought. I can fly without a HTD in P3D, I got used to it. But it is more difficult in DCS and I begin to look into even without great enthusiasm. Great to have your return of experience.

Archived