Random black and night land class textures

Hi,

I've just purchased Prepar3d v4.5.12.30293 and just installed FTX Central v3.3.8.0. I then updated the Orbx Libraries as FTX requested it. So, a a very clean install as none of these products has been installed before.

The result is night texture and no texture loaded instead of the correct land class. This is Sydney, Australia.

Can someone please let me know what the issues is?

To try and debug it, I removed the terrain.cfg file from C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4 and ran P3D which generated a new terrain.cfg file. Same visual issue. I then ran FTX which rebuilt the terrain.cfg again but the issue still exists. None of these debug steps changed anything.

Many thanks,

Andrew McLean

www.aerosoft.com.au

image.png.aa994b9402b99ccfe956fce8030aab89.png

Hello,

Your anomaly is because the landclass definitions have been changed.

You can restore the landclass definitions by going to

ORBX\Scripts\unified\backup.

Copy lclookup.bgl and paste it into Scenery\BASE\Scenery,

allowing it to overwrite.

Before you run P3D again, delete

C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\terrain.cfg.

Once you have done this, do not run FTX Central unless installing products.

Hi Nick,

Thanks for the information. I've done that and the land class is correct now. Thanks again.

I hope this has been relayed to the developers so they can address the issue.

Cheers,

Andrew McLean

www.aerosoft.com.au (former MegaSceneryEarth developer)

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/7/2019 at 10:29 AM, Nick Cooper said:

Hello,

Your anomaly is because the landclass definitions have been changed.

You can restore the landclass definitions by going to

ORBX\Scripts\unified\backup.

Copy lclookup.bgl and paste it into Scenery\BASE\Scenery,

allowing it to overwrite.

Before you run P3D again, delete

C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\terrain.cfg.

Once you have done this, do not run FTX Central unless installing products.

Hi Nick,

I seem to be having the exact same issue with EU England, I'm reinstalling it now so I'll try this. Can I just ask, assuming this fixes the problem, if I should then use FTX Central to install more scenery, will it cause the same problem to occur again, and can I just repeat this process to fix it each time?

(This happened to me before and I somehow fixed it but was never sure how, so this time I'm trying to keep a note of the sure way to fix it for the future).

Thanks

After an uninstall of everything, including P3D4.5, I have finally installed EU England, and it still has the black (night texture) 'holes' dotted across the whole of England.

I'm stumped. (I can't try Nick's suggestion as there is no backup folder in the Orbx\scripts\unified folder).

I've downloaded all files several times. Uninstalled and reinstalled FTX Central and EU Eng, including deleting anything Orbx related from Appdata, ProgData, P3D.

I've tried deleting terrain.cfg and starting/saving FTC central & P3D in all manner of ways.

I've tried forcing migration, though I don't usually get that option as it is greyed out.

The same thing happens with the NA Southern California scenery, so at this point I will give up for now. I spend more time trying to get these working than actually flying.

To be honest I am a bit disappointed. I only have 3 third party airports (FSDT), and no other addon scenery (at least, not until after I get these Orbx working properly).

(I know I have to employ a fix for KLAS and KLAX, and I understand that & this is not related to that); but I am disappointed that installing these two (EU Eng and NA SoCa) onto default land, should cause so much trouble.

If anyone has found a definitive solution, could they please post it here.

Hi together,

I've got the same problem - again and again. I remember I have reinstalled any of the Global addons (unfortunately I can't remember if it was Global Textures, Vector or OpenLC EU/NA) and I could at least partly solve the problem. However it comes again all the time. For example around Frankfurt (with FTX Germany disabled) a lot of water textures are cut and appear black at certain points. Another example is the area around Toronto: Looks like above: a mixture of night and black textures and some water textures broken. A complete mess.

I've tried what Nick suggested, but with no improvement, unfortunately. Before I download dozens of Gigabites again to reinstall them again, what could be another solution?? Maybe something wrong with priorities??

Regards, Dominik

Well, I fixed it, but I'm still not sure how. But here it is in case it helps anyone.

First, I don't have Vector or Global, I have only EU Eng and NA SoCal.

This time, I un-installed everything Orbx related, including FTX central. I searched & made sure all Orbx stuff was completely gone from P3D, Program Data, Roaming and local.

Then I installed FTX central again, followed by EU England, and the good old black/night patches were back. Doh.

So I then installed the free Orbx libraries. Now, I KNOW I have run these sceneries before without using the free libraries, and the purchase screen does not specify any other prerequisites; but anyway, before giving in completely, I installed the free libraries.

In FTX central settings, I also noticed that my 'force migration' button was now working and no longer greyed out.

So I saved the library order, hit the force migration button, saved the library order again for the hell of it, closed FTX central and started P3D. And it worked!

I then installed SoCal, and it also worked.

I do not know if there was a bug (i.e. the greyed out 'force migration' button) or if the free libraries installed something that helped. But in any case it now works.

(I also deactivated the free libraries and it still works without them).

I'm none the wiser. :)

The thing is Nick, if I am supposed to install the free libraries, then shouldn't it say so somewhere?

I'm sorry if I missed it when I bought the two sceneries, but on the purchase page, under 'prerequisites', there were none listed.

Added to that, whilst the free libraries for XPlane are plain to see in the product lists, they were not easily found for P3D and I'm sill not sure how I stumbled upon them.

I still don't even know if they are actually required, what caused the night textures or how I fixed them, which would be nice to know should I have to install again in the future.

Anyway, not to worry, it's working now, & I'll try and avoid reinstalling till I have to build a new pc ! 

Yes, I am sorry that the need to install the Orbx libraries to make all the

products work is not clearly spelled out on every product page.

There is a blue banner in FTX Central but I suppose it can be overlooked.

3.jpg

Without the libraries you will be missing numerous elements of the products that you have installed,

however if that is what you wish to do, then please go ahead.

Should you notice any problems, please enable the libraries before posting another support request.

I'm sorry if you think it is clearly written somewhere.

If I need the libraries WHY DOESNT IT SAY?

The website DOES NOT SAY IT.

The blue banner DOES NOT SAY THIS, it tells of an update but not of the need to have it in the first place.

Thanks for the support

Goodbye.

Hello,

This is my answer:

Yes, I am sorry that the need to install the Orbx libraries to make all the

products work is not clearly spelled out on every product page.

so I do not understand why you would need to post this,

I'm sorry if you think it is clearly written somewhere.

as I had thought that I had made it clear that it is not and offered an apology.

As you had decided not to use them, I have tried to point out why that might not be a good idea.

I am again sorry that you have found this so upsetting.

Archived