installing sp1 TE GB Central on Mac

I have downloaded the SP1 manually for installation on my Mac. Orbx instructions say 'merge' do not replace in Custom Scenery folder. AFAIK the contents (file names) of the Orbx_A_GB_Central_TrueEarth_Custom are identical in the original and SP1 folders. Therefore I can't merge. Some of the folders in the Orbx_B_GB_Central_TrueEarth_Overlay are different but not all. Don't want to screw up my install as downloading and installing the original files took many, many hours! 

Any Mac users successfully installed SP1 who could talk me through the process?

Because the SP1 isn’t a complete copy of the two folders, doing a copy and paste or even just dragging the SP1 folders will replace the originals with just the contents of SP1. You lose everything that’s not in SP1. 

I found that doing a copy and paste of each SP1 folder into the main Custom Scenery folder gave me the merge or replace option. Choosing Merge a) added the new contents and b) replaced those with the same name. 

i.e. Copy SP1 folder Orbx_B_GB__South_TrueEarth_Overlay to the main Custom Scenery folder. This should then give you the option to either Stop, Replace or Merge. 

If you choose Merge, according to what I’ve read and seen it will: 

‘Merge: This option will combine the contents of both folders, keeping the newest version of files with matching names, and preserving all files with unique names. The end result will be a folder that contains the newest version of each file from the two folders.

I’ve done it with both South and Central SPs and it appeared to work. At least it works perfectly for me. 

The first time I did it I used Replace as I would have done with Windows then discovered my error and had to either undo or recover from Time Machine. 

If if you have space, copy the original folders first just in case anything goes wrong. 

Hope this helps. 

Hello,

thanks, exactly so.

For reasons that are beyond me, if you select "replace", the Mac OS deletes all the

existing files and replaces them with the files that you are replacing, regardless of the

possibility that it might be replacing tens of thousands of files with a few hundred, or

even just one.

I expect the thinking behind that is that replacing one thing with another means that

the original thing must first be removed.

After a couple of customers reported that they had used "replace" with their service

pack and now the product did not work, I added the instruction to "merge".

Fortunately, Windows does not apply this rather odd rule, so if files are copied into an

existing folder, any new files are added and any existing files are replaced.

Apparently this is what happens when "merge" is selected in the Mac OS.

The service pack is of course intended to replace existing files and add new

ones, otherwise it would not be very effective as a service pack, so please go

ahead and follow the instructions.

Archived