What REX clouds and skies do you like for PNW?

Alan_A

Have just begun to scratch the surface of PNW - a few A2A Cub flights around Anacortes and Orcas - and I have to say I'm stunned.  Was expecting something as good as Australia and it is.  What I wasn't expecting was that it'd be an emotional experience.  Maybe it's because I'm more familiar with the area (though not all that familiar).  Or maybe it's something in the scenery itself.  But there's a real joy in flying PNW that I haven't experienced anywhere else in flight simming.  Thanks to everyone at Orbx for all the work it took to make it possible.

A question - what REX 2.0 clouds and skies do you think work best with PNW?  Up 'til now I've stuck to the more subdued ones - the ones marked "realistic" - and I've avoided the more, ah, technicolor ones.  But it feels to me like PNW needs a little more visual romance.  An informed opinion about what's authentic for the area would be helpful, too.  So, all you more experienced REX users - how do you have your PNW skies rigged?

Thanks in advance!

Best,

Alan

That all depends on if you are using the ENB plugin as it changes the colors drastically.

Dunno I run the ENB and have tamed down the bloom to look very real without colouring the clouds.

Thanks for all the replies so far.

Should have specified that I use REX textures but ASA (or, I guess, ASE now) for weather generation.  So my question is about textures rather than weather.  I know it's possible to use differnet REX textures with different weather results, but since REX texture updates take a while, I usually try to settle on one setup that works for most situations.  Not totally realistic but easy to manage.

I just started using ENB - really like it, but hadn't yet given much thought to the fact that different textures might be needed.  Open to suggestion re: that, too.

Meatycus - will give your settings a test drive.  But still interested to hear what others are using.

Best,

Alan

Thanks - I learned early on about settling on water textures since that's the longest load time.  But will try limiting it to clouds and experimenting a bit.

Best,

Alan

I was going to ask something similar but more along the lines of does anyone in the area have any recommendations fir the set of sky colours in particular that look like what they see on a daily basis?

To me, the set that makes it feel most like home on a typical day are:

Sunrise: Hello World

Daytime: Midwest Storm

Sunset: Dreary

This is probably the most realistic for PNW flying. It's not always the best for sightseeing, but it definitely does bring a unique and dramatic feel to the landscape.

Guest J van E

Nice topic: I asked something similar elsewhere too but didn't get any helpful replies (yet). What I would like to know (apart from which textures give the most realistic experience) is how I can get those dark moody skies which I see a lot on screenshots. I mainly get white or light grey clouds, even with overcast. I've seen shots with real dark, threatening, scary clouds but somehow I can't get it done.

Nice topic: I asked something similar elsewhere too but didn't get any helpful replies (yet). What I would like to know (apart from which textures give the most realistic experience) is how I can get those dark moody skies which I see a lot on screenshots. I mainly get white or light grey clouds, even with overcast. I've seen shots with real dark, threatening, scary clouds but somehow I can't get it done.

Have you tried increasing your visibility?

Cheers. I'll make Hillsboro my first flight when I get back tonight!

Glad I could be of service.  ;D

For anyone looking for a nice Portland-centric flight plan, fly from KHIO (or Twin Oaks once it's out) to any of the 3 airfields in Hood River. That will take you right over downtown and then straight up the Columbia River Gorge. Beautiful scenery the whole way.

I was going to ask something similar but more along the lines of does anyone in the area have any recommendations fir the set of sky colours in particular that look like what they see on a daily basis?

To me, the set that makes it feel most like home on a typical day are:

Sunrise: Hello World

Daytime: Midwest Storm

Sunset: Dreary

This is probably the most realistic for PNW flying. It's not always the best for sightseeing, but it definitely does bring a unique and dramatic feel to the landscape.

That's a great set.  It also works very well for my home turf (mid-Atlantic).  We don't tend to get vivid, red, Velvia-style sunsets here.  It's that moisture thing again.

Only had time for a very brief test tonight but I'll look forward to trying this out more starting tomorrow.

Best,

Alan

Archived