YMML Double Runway [KNOWN ISSUE GROUND POLY LOD]

Sir Ash

A bit out of the PNW fever, but I've been having problems with YMML (SP1), where the north/south runway towards the north side of the airport is doubled, where it has the normal runway on the ground, and the custom texture for the runway floating above. Here is what it looks like from two different angles of view...

Looking from a little higher...

Posted Image

From a little lower...

Posted Image

Is there any solution to this?

Thanks for any help.

Asheroo, Marty is best placed to give you an answer on this as he developed YMML.

However, the runways and taxi ways are applied to a seperate surface from the ground terrain. This enables faster texture loading so no blurry runways on approach, it also enables the surface water fx during rain etc. However the downside is that this runway/taxiway surface has to be placed above the ground a little way to stop it from flickering, from some angles and zoom levels in external views this can cause the runway to disappear as you are seeing under it, if that makes sense.

This may or may not be the problem in your instance but Marty will be better able to help you if thats the case.

YMML is due to receive a second service pack in the coming months to address some issues.

Russ.

The explanation that you have had above is correct and there does have to be a small elevation of the model texture for the runway surface. However, there could be another reason for your problem. Looking at your first screen shot the elevation of the surface looks quite severe, and I notice that there appears to be a separation at the taxiway junction ahead, which would not be visible due to the layering.

I therefore suspect that there may be another AFD file on your system that is causing the problem. I note that you have quite a lot of ai aircraft at the terminal; what ai system are you using, as this may contain airfield data that is causing this effect.

Norman

I'm using the freeware FTX Traffic AI. And yeah, I have my AI aircraft settings on full all the time (I know I should have it lower, but I like realism, especially at international airports). I don't use any other programs with FSX apart from the ones suggested for FTX.

That is the LOD associated with the Ground poly. In certain zoom levels and view points the runway model switches to the second LOD with is lifted off the grond to prevent flicker on approach and from high altitude.

Its is by design but sometimes shows itself especially in VC Mode when using a zoom of 30%.

So the fix is to use a different view point or zoom level.

Whilst agreeing with what you say, I have never before seen the change in the texture colour and detail either so marked or strecthing so far ahead of the aircraft before, esxcept when another AFD file is active.

Norman

Archived