Computer Choice Advice

PFS

Hi folks,

I have an interesting situation, and am looking for knowledgeable advice:

I've been using a Gateway FX-7026 gaming computer with the following relevant specs:

Windows Vista 64-bit, Q9300 processor, GeForce 8800GT video card (factory overclocked), 400W power supply.

WELL,

My computer developed a problem with the memory controller(s) on the motherboard.  Figuring that it wasn't worth repairing/replacing, I ordered a Systemax SG-1501 computer with the following relevent specs:

Windows 7 64-bit, Q8300 processor, GTX 260 video card, 650W power supply.

Gateway offered to fix my FX-7026 for $200, so I sent it for repair.  Meanwhile, the Systemax computer is on its way.  Uggh.

Both computers have 8GB RAM, Core 2 Quad  2.5GHz processors.

Am I better off with my existing Gateway, OR, would FSX run better on the Systemax computer?

Thanks!

PFS

The repair would simply be a changed MoBo and labor.

If you must buy a gateway

Windows 7 64-bit, Q9600 3Ghz processor, GTX 275 video card, 650W power supply.

bare in mind that the Q8300 processor is not being produced any more

According to the intel site i7, i5 and i3 are your choices

Get the original repaired and save your money and build your own you will end up with a better PC built by hand that you made and this will give you a sense of accomplishment that many don't.

Thanks for replying.

Yeah, the Q8300 seemed like a step *backwards*... and maybe they're trying to use up old stock. Who knows.  I wasn't sure how the GTX 260 compared to the GeForce 8800GT, or even to the other GTX models.

My ol' Gateway FX-7026 always performed well with regards to FSX, FTX and REX; so I was/am very happy with it.  Since the general consensus is that FSX is reliant more on the performance capabilities of the computer's CPU than on the video card, it seemed to me that I wouldn't see any FSX performance increase with a Q8300 CPU; and, perhaps, even a slight decrease in performance.

~Paul

I think the Systemax will indeed be a step backwards, for the reason you say - the slower CPU. While the clock rates are identical, the Q9300 has 50% more L2 cache which should give it the lead. GTX260 is much more powerful than 8800GT, but it's doubtful you would notice the difference in FSX unless running extreme resolutions or very high AA.

Mike

Yeah Gateway probably bought up all the old intel stock for stuff all money and will flog it at top $ in their medioche PC's claiming great performance.  I would not trust a Gateway PC as far as I could throw one, reason they were marketed in Oz for a while but people just would not put up with the shit the tried to market in Australia.

Archived