Upgrading My System: Recommendations?

Hi all, 

Until now I've primarily been an FSX user with UK and some US States photo scenery installed. I've recently made the move across to X-Plane 11 and have all of True Earth GB installed and get reasonable performance out of my system for a good performance of the time, albeit I've limited the sliders somewhat. However in areas of large scenery density the frames drop massively as I'd expect. With this evident I've decided that I'll soon invest in a system more suited to delivering a good simming experience consistently. As I am looking to operate X-Plane most often in areas with Orbx True Earth I was looking to get an insight into what computer setups some of you guys are working with getting good performance at high scenery settings and if your system is off the shelf or custom built. I'm relatively oblivious to the technical side of computer performance, so any pointers would be appreciated. 

I'm currently using a 2013 Dell Alienware 17 

Intel Core i7-4700MQ @ 2.4GHz

16GB RAM 

NVIDIA GeForce GTX770M

X-Plane is installed on a 1TB Crucial MX500 SSD. 

I upgraded recently, did some research and this was the best bang for buck I could come up with.

9600k OC to 5ghz plus water cooler 

MSI gaming plus z390

16gb 3200mhz dual channel ram

all for £550

Graphics card 2070 nvidia £450  

I will in the coming months install m.2 SSD 1tb.

I get a nice smooth flight with XP11 true earth south still using a raid 0 on 2 harddrives 7200rpm. But using ssd for operating system

FPS 35-40 around Rochester with all sliders set to max excluding reflection which is at med high and Antialiasing at 4x ssaa, static aircraft is on.

London is at 20fps   

I would recommend waiting for the 3000 series AMD ryzen now before upgrading. The 2060 is out which I hear is good if you wanted to drop back on the graphics card.

hope this helps 

Basically already all said: 9600K overclocked to anything near 5GHz (4.6GHz should be easily possible and is already fine) with decent 3200MHz CL14/16 RAM and at least a GTX-1060 is the way to go. If Money is available, I would first go for a better GPU (1070Ti, 2070, 2080 or 2080Ti), then for a 9700K. The 9700K has the advantage of a faster stock speed, it already offers 4.6GHz all core turbo right out the box.

Very valid however is the last paragraph of Joel: I would now definitively wait for the release of those AMD Ryzen 3000 CPUs. Might be that you get more for the same value.

Archived