Installing Mesh for Scenery?

TomG

Hi

I am returning to Simming (Prepar3d v4) after several years and with a new system.  I had several products including Global, Vector, and LC on the old system.

With my new installation will I need a separate Mesh product or is mesh now part of the newly updated scenery?  Thanks.  Tom

Hi Tom,

Perhaps you were thinking of Pilot's FS Global 2010 FTX, which back in the day was standard wear for ORBX scenery and as far as I can gather is considered to still be, even though newer products are available. I too returned to simming a few months back and found a number of forum topics advising the reuse of FS Global 2010 FTX in P3D v4 by doing a manual restore using a copy of the original installed .BGL files, ie. not trying to use the FS Global 2010 FTX installer, which probably refuses to work in P3D v4.

The manual restore worked for me and I did as follows:-

1) Created a FSGX2010 folder and copied the previously installed mesh (.BGL) files in their sub folders. NB: keeping the folder structure intact is crucial.
2) Start P3D and from the Scenario screen select Scenery.
3) Select 'Add Area...' and make 8 entries starting with the entry for 'Local Meshes' by pointing to the LocalMeshes sub folder in your newly created FSGX2010 folder (at LocalMeshes not its Scenery sub folder) and position it between the last of the default continents and the first of the ORBX Vector entries eg. between 'Africa  scenery/AFRI' entry and ORBX!VECTOR_OBJ. Then create the other seven entries and position in the following order NAM, ANT, AFR, CSA, ASI, EUR & OCE.
        NB: Later found these entries had been automatically moved to after the ORBX Vector entries.

I made the mistake of doing a before and after check using the mountains seen from the LOWI Innsbruck runway only to see no perceptible improvement, however I eventually realised that this was because ORBX includes a local mesh for LOWI, so changed my check to VNLK Lukla, which then showed a dramatic improvement.  NB: to check just untick the appropriate FSGX2010 entry in the scenery library ie. for Lukla untick FS Global 2010 ASI to see the default P3D mesh.

Hope this helps,

John

Archived