True Earth Great Britain South installation problem

Felix5

Hi,

TEGBS is not installing correctly using my FTX central application. Instead of leaving the "3 converted folders" in my custom scenery folder its leaving dozens of zip files. Not sure whats going on. FTX is saying "the product is installed and up-to-date" but I'm sure this is incorrect. I suspect FTX is not properly linked to my active x-plane folder. Is there a way I can make this link as I've tried uninstalling & reinstalling FTX central but to no avail. Any help would be appreciated

Hi Nick,

Thanks for your quick reply. I have downloaded TEGBS using FTX central. I watched as it downloaded the files . It then went to the "installing" phase & followed on though the "converting" stage. At the completion of all the stages, and on selecting the product in FTX it stated "product is installed & up to date". I've then opened my X Plane custom scenery folder and instead of seeing the three Orbx folders there is numerous (26gb) zip files. It goes without saying that the product has not installed as it should.

I understand your point regarding FTX not being capable of doing this but quite clearly it has. Over the past 24hours I've looked at various threads on here & it is becoming very clear that the FTX program is causing numerous problems & headaches for simmers.

Here is a quote from STUARTH on 10/15/2018 in his topic Install UK South different drive to X-Plane?

I want to install Orbx UK South scenery on a separate SSD to where X-Plane is installed and use shortcuts to point to the scenery folders. This is the process I have deployed for all my Ortho scenery in order to reserve space on my X-Plane drive for aircraft and airports etc.

However, I pointed FTX Central to download the Orbx scenery to the separate drive, but it only downloaded 30+ gbytes of zip folders to that drive and then attempted to install converted uncompressed files to my X-Plane/Custom Scenery folder, where upon it ran out of disk space.

The SSD, where I wish to install the Orbx scenery has 250 gbytes of space whereas my X-Plane disk only has 139 gbytes. It appears that I need around 30+ gbytes to download the zip files, but how can I install the three Orbx folders to my SSD drive?

Your advice is urgently required.

Here STUARTH has had a problem which is very similar to mine regarding the zip files don't you think? The only difference is I have plenty of space available so that's not the problem.

Regards,

Felix.

When FTX Central version 3.3.4.5 downloads True Earth South, it downloads it to the file you have X-Plane situated on. You download 26gb file but to extract this file you need a lot more free space than this as shown on this extract from Orbx download instructions.

The initial download of TEGB South is 26GB, the installation uses at least twice that and the installed product is 127GB

As you can see, a shortage of  free space in your download file will cause problems.

I have 163gb free on my system drive and 560gb free on the X_Plane 11 drive and encountered no problems.

Most of the installation problems I am reading about are caused by lack of disk space.

Kind regards

Ian S

The only way FTX Central can do this is if the customer overrides it and selects

"Download and install now, then create a backup for later" and then selects

X-Plane 11\Custom Scenery as the destination for the backup.

Even then, there would still be the three installed folders as well, though depending

on what had been done they might not be in the same folder.

Can you show me a screen shot of your "zip" files please?

STUARTH resolved his problem by making enough disk space available.

Ah Nick,

Thanks for that. What you said about the selection ""Download and install now, then create a backup for later". Its entirely possible I may have done this as I could have seen the "download & install now" option & went with that. I'll look at the files again & see if the 3 folders is among them but I'm sure its not. This seems to be closer to my problem. If so how can I remedy this.

Installation looking good on the second desktop. The 3 folders have appeared in my custom scenery folder at the start of the install phase.

Thanks for all your help Nick. It looks like I've made the wrong selection as outlined above & when you mentioned it, it definitely rang a bell.

I'm hoping that I'll be able to move the 3 folders out of my dummy X-plane folder downstairs to my X plane desktop upstairs & all should be fine.

Archived