Seattle Pre-NA Blue but still beautiful!

Phil Manhart

Limitations of landclass management is all I can think. I'm using Ground Environment X for the textures and Ultimate Terrain X for the vector scenery like the roads. You can see in most of the pics that they go together very well, but sometimes they really screw up like with number 4. It's what you get when you don't have the FTX masters handcrafting the terrain I guess...

It's what you get when you don't have the FTX masters handcrafting the terrain I guess...

If you look closely you will notice that this happens in FTX all over the place as well. It's just a problem inherent in the whole autogen/landclass approach. The ground textures are being selected from a pool of generic landclass textures. The vector road data, that is not part of these textures, is just superimposed onto this textures with the effect that roads sometimes cut throught buidings. This can be avoided by handselecting landclass textures for every single piece of vector road or by removing vector roads in big cities altogether. The former is almost impossible to do for the whole landmass of Australia (et al.) and the latter removes VFR references from cities by replacing actual roads with generic landclass roads. The last option to fix this would be photoreal textures with autogen buildings in the proper places. But that is too expensive and also takes up too much space on the hard disk.

Archived