How to keep the sim health with lots of addons?

Let me  explain. Sadly its long.... but some things cannot be put in 2 sentences ^^ I bet many many have this, maybe everyone. Some notice it, some not. Some dont see it because they dont have many addons. Some never see it because they fly GA only where the speed is never so high to make problems for the cpu and other may not see it for other reasons. But i fly P3D on the 4.th system now, very different setups and its always the same after 3-5 Months of flying/installing. Im plagued by this for 100% it seems.

i often enough  get textures that make so sense basically. Villages that are crossed by woods and streets lead through places where they dont belong to. And of course im very aware that ORBX is not completely detailed and every road is in its place and every location in the right spot.. I mean something different....patchwork basically. See pics below. And this is always just happening after a few months of usage. 

Its the elevation and mesh that simply doesnt build like they should anymore and i cannot find a way to stop this aging process. Yes, i have many many airports. Around 120. But i know w how to take care in theory. I know about scenery sorting, i know about frames lock to improve terrain, i know about going with lower settings to "get more", all that things. If you look at my previous posts one will find that its mostly screenshots and one also can see that i know how a sim can look, even with low PC.  All those pics were either with a 1060 nvidia or 1070, on an i5 most of the time.  The one PC cost 800 Euro and the other 1200. And despite that im very well aware how to set a sim to get a stutterfree experience while keeping visuals high. I made guide about this for others, our community and the internet. I just say this to give you an idea that im not someone who sets all sliders right, installs everything he can find to random places and wonders why nothing works anymore. Im different and i can assure you this :-)

Back to topic. The problem is that all this "knowledge" about a smooth sim are getting trashed after a few months, after i reinstalled the whole sim again for the 4th time in year. The point will come where the mesh and elevation simply wont look good anymore. Most detail is lost and a region like ORBX South Alaska starts to look not different from Global Base pack. The whole elevation basically is lost. Where super crisp and spiky mountains were before are now just a few hills basically. This may a bit exaggerated but its very very visible. When the sim runs good ppl ask me "what mesh you have installed??? that looks amazing and so crisp" and when i have this state back its more a "p3d looks bad....i love Ortho". Its a big difference.

But still a difference "small" enough that i know some ppl dont see... They think P3D looks bad but the thing is it would look a lot better normally.... What is this? What happens that ruins a sim so much in ESP.

One would think that tools like Simstarter, where one can only load certain regions would help for this problem but no. If you have it you have it. No way back. Or is there? What can one do to get a somewhat "fresh" state back without reinstalling hundred and hundreds of gigabyte of data....just to see it will be same after 6 month.

I mean, it makes no sense to me.... It doesnt seem to be the amount of airports added. Its more the timespan. If i install 50 airports in one week it runs a lot better than with 70 airports after 6 month. Its not really a line, more a curve...

What is also very noticeable is that i cannot really fly long time in VC anymore in this "state". Usually i can fly in VC for 5h and the terrain will still look crisp and detailed in elevation etc. But in this state it will look very bad a after a while.... If i dont switch to outside cam and  zoom out a lot and let it fly like this i never get good looking terrain anymore...it stays crisp when i turn on highres terrain but i still loose elevation/mesh/detail after a an hour. Also one can see the microstutters increase and the difference of fps between departure and arrival are really high. I depart with 40 and arrive with 25. And this is not a thing of the arrival airport being more demanding. Its always samesame. Now to some questions.

Example:

One has a sim with 120 airports installed and all the ORBX regions. And he loads the sim via simstarter with only 1 orbx region, the one he flies in and 2 airports. Why is this not the same as a sim where really only those 2 things would be installed?

My guess is the files get more, have to be targeted and searched with more resources, the list with files to go through gets bigger, the effect folder gets bigger, the scenery/world folder get stuf and stuff and stuff added and with more files (even they dont get loaded) it all gets slowed down?

Or what is the problem here?

I have installed P3D last year 3 times fully. Im on the 4th system now with not much higher anymore to go with an oc`ed 7700k and a RTX 2080. Basically if this state (i like to call it that way...) comes back all systems run same. My old i5 and 1060 did the same thing as i can do now when its broken. And there it looked better even at times. If i look my 1 year old pics i see way better mesh/elevation on my flights as i get in such state with highend system. Thats bad...

What is that that turns our sims into old hags when they just where young maidens a few months earlier?

Now some pics. I will post more soon. Just the most current ones. This is after 30 min in the VC. One can see that each few mins the detail is lost more and more and it all starts to go into some state where textures are just layerd over each other near to random.I know its not random of course. Its just the very basic mesh without all the details.

I may be lucky when i go back to outside view and let it fly here for 20 mins. That usually will bring back the details.

On this pic the grey/light patches are normally hills... And have far greater detail in polys. From many curves only a edged patch is calculated/displayed. If i overfly this same region in outside cam it looks all amazing spiky, hilly and very detailed.

unknown.png

unknown.png

On last pic im not sure but i can imagine that the patch with the factory/silo should be in a more detailed mesh for the given settings and not just be placed over the city in a weird way. Also here im nearly sure it would look very different when i fly only in outside view.

unknown.png

Here too. Normally all this area makes fully sense and the textures cover hills, mountain and woods exactly how one expects. But on this pic it looks like it comes from a cheap i3.

One can also see that GPU/CPU then simply dont do anything anymore...the gpu idles around with 25% load and the cpu doesnt do much too. Its in sleep mode.

So again. Any tipps to not get into this bad behaviour all the time besides only install 2 orbx areas and 5 airports?

One can see this very clearly. As soon i go outside view all starts to build up again.

The following pics were from a healthy sim with identical settings in the same region.

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

Hi there,

from your description it sounds like your sim suffers from resource exhaustion and thus you end up with a case of the progressive blurries meaning the sim can't keep up with placing the highest resolution (LOD) of the ground textures, drops out autogen, etc. Also, the more add-ons you throw into the mix the more likely it is that some incompatibilities creep in, which may cause the sim to get caught in search loops etc., further degrading performance. Last but not least the fact that your VC view causes more difficulties than outside views also indicates that your PC is running on the edge, at least with that particular aircraft and its cockpit detail and active gauges/systems. 

That being said, I don't see anything overly wrong with your first three screenshots (please always include coordinates (shift-z) so we can double-check at our end). The sharp edges in the first screenshot appear to be the forestry cutblock polygons that we've placed throughout the FTX North American regions; see http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/40683-strange-looking-texture-tiles-on-the-mountains-pnw/#comment-356609 and https://orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/128681-nrm-northern-rockies-autogen-appearance/?do=findComment&comment=1145671

The third screenshot looks fine to me; it's obviously taken in the middle of winter and thus the contrast of forest to open areas will be less.

The second screenshot shows some oddities. It's not so much the refinery in the center (landclass polygons always have sharp edges) but rather that some of the grass textures show the distinctive yellowish default winter color, which shouldn't be the case with Global Base and openLC installed, let alone if you're inside an FTX Region. Again though, without knowing the location we can't check this ourselves.

If you post more screenshots please include coordinates as well as the date or month they were taken.

Cheers, Holger

Archived