FSX Crashing

Atomic_Sheep

This is pretty much a fresh install, haven't been using FSX much since installing. Was flying into YSTW from YBBN and got a crash as I approached YSTW. Tried again, no bueno. Tried loading a flight from YSTW, FSX crashed during loading. Thought it might just be YSTW but then I tried YMML, doesn't load into YMML either, crashes during loading. I tried loading various missions and they all work fine, so I think it's an ORBX issue. Any ideas on how to start troubleshooting this one?

Hmm, looks like it's not there. I've got hidden folders and files set as showing.

EDIT: Looks like I can't upload it... I get an error. I tried copy pasting the contents but it appears to be too long hmm. Let me think how else I can paste it.

• 2 weeks later...

There will be a scenery.cfg file found at C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX folder, not scenery folder, the word scenery from above was to represent the scenery.cfg....you will not find it in the SceneryIndexes folder, and the scenery.cfg in the root folder is not what we are looking for.

So post a copy of your scenery.cfg file found at C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX

On 12/19/2018 at 11:03 AM, Doug Sawatzky said:

No, the scenery.cfg from the #5 post is from the FSX root folder and does not have any Orbx scenery installed because it is an inactive default spare file.

So please post a copy of your scenery.cfg file found at C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX

My bad, I misread the directory. I thought it was Program Files/Microsoft Games/FSX. Here is the file:

scenery.cfg.txt

On 12/8/2018 at 5:33 PM, Atomic_Sheep said:

Was flying into YSTW from YBBN and got a crash as I approached YSTW. Tried again, no bueno. Tried loading a flight from YSTW, FSX crashed during loading.

Are talking about an aircraft crash detection crash? Or a complete sim crash to desktop (CTD)?

• 4 weeks later...

Well I ended up deleting the fsx.cfg file and then adding HIGHMEMFIX=1 and changing texture quality to 4096 and everything seems to work again.

Strange however, since I could have sworn Tamworth to Brisbane used to result in missing scenery once you arrive in Brisbane after a fresh install, but I flew it today and everything was fine (Maybe I need to try a longer flight YSCB to Brisbane for example... in fact I think flights over two hours resulted in this problem so I think it was YSCB to YBBN that resulted in this for me in the past). From what I remember, in order to fix the long flight resulting in missing scenery problem, you had to:

apply the FSL_TextureFix_v1.1 fix

which as far as I know adds a line in fsx.cfg file:

[Graphics]

STALE_BUFFER_THRESHOLD=2147483647

Archived