Did I damage my computer from overclocking? It won't start

steve31000

Two days ago, I went to turn on my 2 month old computer (i7 920, Gigabyte X58-3UDR, Fenrir Cooler, ATi 5870, 6GB Ram) to find that it wouldn't start. There is no lights on the motherboard showing that no power is being received at all. I have checked all cables both outside and inside the computer to check that nothing has come loose. It's totally dead - not a dickiebird can be heard from it when I press the power button.

I bought the computer pre-made. Since my purchase I have overclocked to 4ghz (with a Titan Fenrir cooler) and never had any major stability problems. My temperatures seemed fine - around 65C under load. As I can't figure it out myself, I am returning to the company I bought it from. Before purchasing I was assured that I could overclock within reason without voiding my warrenty. However I have heard dodgy things about this company and worried that they will blame me and my overclocking for the computers problem.

My main question is I'm wondering if overclocking can cause damage to the motherboard so that it won't recieve power/boot up? Could I have caused this? The only setting I changed was the cpu clock (to 4ghz) as voltage was already high enough (the computer was partially overclocked when I bought it).

It could just be that the power supply has broken but I am worried they will pin this on me for having overclocked. Any thoughts?  I feel sick after spending so much on this setup and now it won't even start :(.

Thanks guys

Steve

Yes that is what i would say it looks like as well, Last year my 1kw psu let go just as i switched on bejesus i nearlly had heart attack what a crack it went off with i got in touch with Thermaltake they just sent me a replacement the next day and i returned the goosed one back to them fantastic service up and running again within two days.

cheers

Iain

I hope that's all it is guys. As long as they don't try to pin it on me for overclocking. I smelled my power supply yesterday (I don't do that too often) and it smelled fine - no burning smell or anything. Well just so long as I have'nt done any damage, I can be patient to have it repaired. When I read the help Haiti banner above, it certainly puts my miniscule problem into perspective.

Cheers

Steve

Correct John  yes unplug remove the PSU and crack it's case of the PSU and on the Circuit board you should see a 1Cm or so long fuse as a general rule near where the power line comes from the rear socket.

Some more upmarket PSU's might even have a panel mount fuse in the back of it.

Thanks guys. I got word yesterday that it turned out to be a blown PSU. The company I bought it from said they'll replace it with a more powerful PSU which is odd (but I'm very happy about) as I was already using a 650W PSU which I would have thought was enough to run an i7 and ATi5870. It even says on the 5870 box that a 650W PSU is required to run the card in crossfire which I'm not doing. Can't complain though, I get a free upgrade  :D

That's a releif. I think o/clocked i7's should really have 750w minimum on the PSU these days and your case proves that you can't compromise on a top quality brand PSU.

We have effectively doubled the power consumption of these monsters in about 4 years.  :-\

That's a releif. I think o/clocked i7's should really have 750w minimum on the PSU these days and your case proves that you can't compromise on a top quality brand PSU.

We have effectively doubled the power consumption of these monsters in about 4 years.  :-\

Yeap you'r right.

In some case bigger is better  :) , as I always said there is no such thing as "overkill" in PC world. 

Archived