Forest scenery in Custom Scenery Folder...

Orbx Flyer

A tip...

Sometimes, as many XP users find out...when you add a particular scenery package...that sometimes, that triggers a scenery order rewrite by XP itself, in your Scenery.ini file.  Well, I had been doing some more Ortho generation, and when adding that to my XP11.26, after adding that, I had trees and forests inside and upon airports, over highways, over towns and cities. Now, I have Forest HD (High Definition) and another custom Forest file,  that had given me (with its placement inside my Scenery.ini file, no problems. Well...they had not moved...so what had happened (!?!?) to my now having forests over everything, and looking horrible.  

I found the answer...

Well, I also have Madagascar, and this has its own Madagascar Forest file. That had been moved higher than where I had placed all my custom forest additions, which sit just above my Ortho4XP tiles. Madagascar folder had gone above my Global airports, (but it affected the whole sim...not just airports).  So, I moved it back down below my other two forests entries..and now I am back to beautiful world and forest depth representation as you see in these three screen grabs flying over Z17 Ortho4XP.

I'm not sure if this affect of adding and XP rewriting my forest entires different from what I had hand placed them would make any difference to Orbx TEGB, or not. But, I think it would, as it DID affect any ortho self created by me.  So...just a tip and warning to all...after ANY additions, to your Custom Scenery Folder, by yourself, or by adding onto by 3rP such as any Orbx product....I'd suggest that you right now...(if everything looks good to you...no trees on the roads, covering towns...etc....besides Orbx products) , if all looks good to you...MAKE A COPY of your Scenery.ini file...and have it on your Desktop in a NOTE file. Then...if you should ever find something has BORKED your world view...as it happened to me...just compare side-by-side your saved (everything was good Scenery.ini scenery file order) with what you now have, post adding any scenery yourself, or from 3rdP's...and that will give you a guide to move things back to the order that was.

After I did my re-ordering back to how I remember having had it (and now, have a copy of that on my Desktop...) the following three screen grabs are with forests elements once more, looking great, and being where they should be...and NOT where they should not be!  :)

Another Tip...on my system I run HyperThreading on a four core, and also have a forced Thread Optimization as 'ON'.  I know there has been a lot of suggestions to NOT have Thread Optimization as 'ON' for XP.  Well, that was for XP10.  XP 11.x is a different beast.  I pick up 9-10 % more fps on average-scenery-rendering, than with T.O. as 'off'.  

My advice, is to try a favorite flight with it ON...(forced, not AUTO) and then do the same flight with it as OFF, and watch your FPS meter.  (turn it on visually), if you don't already have it being displayed. Mine is on the lower left, where you see me getting consistent 30-33 FPS across very demanding scenery elements. That is with it on, on a four core 10 year old CPU, an Intel i7-Extreme 980, driving a GTX1070 graphics card.

Cheers, and happy XP'ing... :)

Cessna-172-SP-seaplane-10.png

Cessna-172-SP-seaplane-11.png

Cessna-172-SP-seaplane-12.png

Archived