New System Advise

Guest boeingqa

Guest boeingqa

Guys looking at this but might be over the top, some great advise please would help in a big way.

Antec 902 Case

Antec True Power Quattro 1000W PS

Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD7 Motherboard

i7 920

Corsair DDR3 6 gig PC-16000/2000

XFX ATI HD5870 1 gig Videocard

23`` Samsung LED Monitor

2x OCz Vertex turbo series Hard drives 64meg cache. read 270mb, write 200mb

Winodws 7 64bit HP

Whats your thoughts guys?

Regards

Paul

The Power Supply is overkill the minimum for an i7 build is 650W, 750W would be a better choice.

Also around February the Intel Core i7 930 is expected to be released, it's most likely going to be 32nm following all the new i5 and i3 chips for this year, an i7 965 Extreme edition (45nm) was overclocked to 5.4Ghz on liquid nitrogen an i7 980X (Gulftown, 32nm) was overclocked to 6.4Ghz on liquid nitrogen, so huge overclocking potential in the new 32nm chips  ;D

$164 Antec 902 Case [AnyPC, NSW]

$164 Antec True Power 750W [ARC Computers, NSW]

$420 Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD7 Motherboard [Gocomp, QLD]

$348 i7 920 (D0 stepping) [iT Estate, NSW]

$239 Corsair DDR3 6GB TR3X6G1600C7 [Tigers Direct, NSW]

$584 XFX ATI HD5870 1 gig Videocard [iTSky, NSW]

$1919

$537 Samsung XL2370 23"W LED [ARC Computers, NSW]

$2456

$299 Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit RETAIL [DIY Computers, NSW]

$2755

2x OCz Vertex turbo

$355 60GB [blacktea Tech, VIC]

$3110 1x60GB

$3465 2x60GB

$664 120GB [blacktea Tech, VIC]

$3419 1x120GB

$4038 2x120GB

Guest boeingqa

Ok thats great but its not like we could put our cpus on liquid nitrogen hehehe

l thought with regards to the PS better off having more than less. 750w l would say its

border, unless l go to a 850w or 950w.

Thx Bud

Paul

It simply just shows how much further you can overclock a 32nm chip than a 45nm, so even with air cooler or water cooling system there would still be huge overclocking potential in the 32nm chips

Paul, nothing wrong with going with a 1000w PSU...I've been running one for over a year now, and I love it not having to worry about power requirements. Todays GPU's and CPU's draw lots of power, not to mention all the HDD's we like to put into systems nowadays. Plus, system cases are using more fans than ever, CPU cooling solutions are using more power than before etc. All this eats away at the availabe power. When you push a PSU close to its' limits, you start to get funky results like blue screems, solid grey or black screens and random shutdowns. Factor in a newer or multiple GPU's down the road, not to mention all the USB devices we plug into our simming PC's as well, and you've just exceeded an already stressed PSU. Its not that expensive to go with a great quality 1000w (or greater) PSU, so why scrimp out on one?

Just my 2 cents worth for ya ;)

Guest boeingqa

l would have to agree with you, l feel 1000watt or 1200 is the way to go, l wont have to worry about the power anymore

Thanks

Paul

Guest boeingqa

guys just a quick one, l`m looki8ng for the best performance memory out there. l`m looking for a min 6 gig

what are people`s recommandations please.  Thanks guys

l just didnt want to go over board on my price if the hardware wasnt going to do anything.

Thanks

Paul

also looking at the new Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3 l think thats what it is. its only $250 and the new ud7 is like $420

if it does the same thing why pay more

Thx

I've learn something building PC's over the years....nothing is overkill, you may want to upgrade one day and the PSU is one thing you won't have to worrie about it if you have 1000W or more, I myself will not go with less than 1000W.........that's just me.

The best memory will be the one you can max out your board with at the lowest latency, assuming you'll overclock your CPU.

Guest boeingqa

thanks for that, l`m building very soon. would like to learn more on memory and ps to fully understand them

it helps with choosing the right stuff.

Thanks for that

Paul

The Quattro's are brilliant PSU. I installed the 850W in my mates on the weekend. Very tidy modular unit.

Nothing wrong with the 1000W unit if you can afford it. However my mate bought a 5770 card and will get another in a month or so time but he isn't a flightsimmer, so doesn't matter about the Crossfire cause on the games he is running it will work.

His system was a little less than yours.

850w Quattro

1156 Asus P55-DE Motherboard

i7 860

4x2GB Geil DDR3 1600 RAM

3 x 1TB Samsung Drive (1 for the OS, Other two in RAID 1 as he needs redundancy)

Gigabyte 5770 GFX

Windows 7 64

The system absolutely flies. For the cut down version of the i7, they are still very very quick.

Guest boeingqa

Thx for that, l might look see at the new i7 930 but from the 920 to the 930 l dont think it would make a difference.

anyway guys l was looking at 3 MBs gigabyte x58a-ud3r, ud5 and ud7

does anyone know the difference please l would take it the the ud3r would only have 2 pci slots for sli and the ud5 and 7 would

do three way sli

any thoughts would be great.

Thanks

Paul

Guest J van E

I am also interested in what goed RAM is. Right now I have PC10666 RAM CLS 9, so that's something like 9 - 9 - 9 - 24 in the BIOS. It's running at 1333 in my system (with an i7 920 at 3,3 on the stock cooler). I somehow have the idea the RAM is holding things up... Could faster RAM really make a big and/or noticable difference...?

The difference between the i7 920 (45nm) and the i7 930 (likley 32nm) is HUGE overclocking wise, as i stated before the difference between overclocking a 32nm chip over a 45nm is around 1Ghz or so depending on your setup, as for motherboard the UD7 is more of a high end overclocking board that can be water cooled if necessary, the UD5 is more of a mainstream board build for strong mild overclocks, the UD3R is just a general board that is meant for a decent overclock nothing to high, as for being able to SLI, it's pointless FSX doesn't fully support SLI and multiple GPU setups, though you could always use it for multiple monitor setups ;D

Guest boeingqa

so your saying hold off till the 930 comes out? also memory l want to get the best performance out of my memory

how do l know l`m choosing the best?

also looking at 2 SSD`s is there better performance to get 2 60gig SSD`s and put them in raid and 2 for fsx and also put them

in raid or is it just better off buying 1 ssd for c drive and 1 ssd for fsx

Thx guys

Paul

Archived