Do I have enough hardware?

Bill

I'm using a Cessna 172 NavIII aircraft.  I presume you can see details of my hardware and software configuration from my profile.

I have set all the FSX parameters to the values recommended by ORBX, but the simulation is quite jerky whenever control inputs are made - like seeing a series of stills instead of a movie.  There is about 1/2 second delay between moving the yoke and seeing the effect on screen.  This makes the aircraft very difficult to control and almost impossible to land.  Do I need a hardware upgrade?  If so, what would you recommend?

Thanks ...

Windows 10

Intel Core i7 CPU 2.80 GHz 4 cores 8 logical processors Hate to say it but I don't think really  fast enough.

6.00 GB installed physical memory   8 or 16 better for P3D

NVIDIA GeForce GTX260 1.75GB    Sounds old

Dell monitor1920x1080 32 bits/pixel  Doesnt matter

2.8 GHZ sounds a bit slow.

I think most enthusiasts will have recent high end Video cards. This is important for P3D less so for FSX because that is more CPU dependent.

It would be reasonable for you to say 'That program first came out more than ten years ago. How could a 2.8 GHZ machine not be fast enough?

It seems FSX was designed for the future. A future that didn't include multi processor machines!

In 2006 I doubt Bill Gates or Richard Branson had machines that could run it properly! By that I mean with all the sliders to the right. To add to the confusion turning detail down often doesnt help. IOt can be frustrating.

All is not lost. I have found this difficult to follow but an excellent guide to getting the best out of your system. Best of luck! I think I would concentrate on FSX which is an extraordinary program ( I have been fascinated by it for 12 years for now) If you want to do the missions be circumspect about adding scenery. It can interfere with them.

https://www.simforums.com/forums/the-fsx-computer-system-the-bible-by-nickn_topic46211.html

The program originally cost £60. I have spent thousands over the years trying to get the best out of it! Try to see the funny side.

Hi Bill,

Not sure if this is a controller input (Lag) issue or a Low spec hardware / graphics limitation. (Can you confirm control or display graphics slideshow)
Hope you don't mind me copy/pasting your system spec and software from your (U/P) below, as it will help others to see immediately where the hardware spec is failing to provide a useable framerate. 
Are you certain Win10 is operating efficiently, was your FSX working smoothly at any time before the latest W10 updates. Have you upgraded your Graphics drivers lately, if so was the sim smoother with the older drivers.

Which location in the sim do you experience the slideshow effect, does it happen everywhere, do you see higher FPS and a smother sim in default (non-Orbx areas)

========================================================================

About Me

Dell Studio XPS8100

Windows 10

Intel Core i7 CPU 2.80 GHz 4 cores 8 logical processors

6.00 GB installed physical memory

NVIDIA GeForce GTX260 1.75GB

Dell monitor1920x1080 32 bits/pixel

Saitek flight yoke, rudder pedals and throttle/mixture/flaps quadrant

FSX

FTX Global BASE pack

FTX Global VECTOR

FTX Global Trees HD

AU Australia

YBCG Gold Coast airport

YCDR Caloundra airport

CityScene Gold Coast

REX Soft Clouds

=========================================================================

While your system specs are of an era about 6-8 years ago, and will struggle with scenery, Autogen, traffic, high TML texture, when sliders are set too high, many of us long time Orbx'ers have used similar tech/hardware many moons ago, and had a reasonable sim experience provided we were careful with the sliders and were able to Overclock our CPU's. Perhaps a GTX260 is inadequate many used GTX480's and myself had a GTX275. 
I see no reason why your sim should be a slideshow (on that basis) unless your settings are too much for your hardware spec. ie; no overclock on your i7 2.8Ghz CPU and a less than capable graphics card. Perhaps a misbehaving addon or graphics driver or FSX.cfg tweak was used with a wrong parameter.  
Back in the day I used an i7 860 2.8Ghz  overclocked @4.1Ghz  with a GTX275/896Mb  RAM 8Gb 1600Mhz  and had a quite reasonable smooth sim & framerate around 15-22 in dense city areas airports & 28-30 in the countryside. I still have my performance notes from those days, quite a few tweaks were employed to maximize the output but overall pleasing result.

These days as scenery fidelity is getting more detailed, perhaps the burden on your old system has reached its limitations.

It would be interesting to see your "FSX.cfg" to see if there are any misconfig or parameter errors, slider settings causing the slideshow, can you post your FSX.cfg in your next post.

If you need advice about upgrade possibilities, there are as many opinions as there are hardware options and your choice of sim for ongoing use, getting the most out of any upgrade will depend on your wallet and your requirements. Be prepared for recommendations on everything from the very latest spec to the slightly down-spec options, but there will be few if any upgrades available with your current hardware in todays retail market, a new system is inevitable if you want to run the latest software.

See my current system spec in my sig:- for example (about 5 years old) by todays standard it is ancient, but I have a superb Orbx flying experience using this level of hardware, it is the absolute minimum IMHO for an FSX setup where the user might wish to push the sliders and other graphics settings to the max and still achieve smooth FPS in the 30's.

Archived