I want my Lancair!

Mac6737

Last week, a Microsoft tech rep trying to help me with Windows 10 Mail utterly crashed my PC, necessitating a new hard drive and reinstallation of Windows 10.  Of course, I lost lots of stuff, including FSX, which I have now reinstalled.  Then I went to my Orbx account.  Mysteriously, some of my purchases were said to be "Installed and up to date," but I had to re-download and install Open LC North America.  Did that.  The only Orbx plane I've bought is the Lancair IV, and my account screen invited me to DL: I clicked on that, but almost immediately was told it was "installed and up to date."  BUT, when I reopened FSX, it wasn't there.

Any suggestions?   

Hello,

FTX Central reads the text files in the ORBX\User documents\Versions folder

to tell whether products are installed or not.

As you must still have that folder but not your FSX installation, you should either

delete or rename the Versions folder and then all your products will show in

FTX Central as Not Installed.

Install them all again and all will be well.

Nick,

Thank you.  That makes sense, especially since I flew in Australia yesterday after posting my lament about the Lancair, and it just did not look as good as it did before my PC was crashed by the MS tech support guy.  I will try to do what you advise.

One factor complicating things for me is that the required move from Win7 to Win 10 makes it hard to find things.  Case in point: I just put "Orbx" in the Win 10 search line, and it failed to find the "Orbx" folder on my C:\ drive.  "There is a special place in hell . . . ."

Mac

Alas, a further reply:

I did what you said, which made sense to me.  Unfortunately, it had no effect at all.  My account page indicated that all my purchases are installed and up-to-date.  It is clear that they are not.  The Lancair does not appear in FSX.  Also, I notice that the Orbx weather themes that I had before my hard drive crash are not there anymore.  And there are things that just don't look right, such as razor-straight shore lines in the Australia Region.

Is there any way to get Tech Support form Orbx itself?

Bless you, Sir, for responding further.

1.   My FSX root folder is in C:\Program Files(x86)\Microsoft Games.  (I believe that's where it should be, and that's where it was before the Disaster, when everything was fine including my Orbx products.)

2.  No!

3.  Yes.  I notice, however, that there's no "aircraft" file in the Lancair folder.  The planes that are now working properly all seem to have that, including those that I had backed up on an external hard drive before the Disaster.  The planes that don't have it are either not working properly, or can't be detected by FSX.

For further info: I went to the Products heading in Orbx, and was told that I already own each of the products that I do in fact own.  If I click to DL on any of them in my account, it prepares to DL, but after 2 or 3 seconds, announces that the product is "installed and up to date."  Not so.  So it seems that even if I were willing to repurchase one or more Orbx products, the site would not let me.

Mac

OTOH, MS tech support was able to get my FSX and Acceleration expansion pack "activated" again, stopping the error messages and timing out.  Don't ask.

Wait, wait . . .

My prior answer erred.  (I was looking for an Orbx logo.)  There is indeed an Orbx folder, with User Documents and a Version file.  The Version file I renamed earlier is in an Orbx folder in a different place (not under FSX).

I have to leave now, but I look forward to trying your initial suggestion with the proper (?) Versions file.  And BTW, that file lists each of the products I have purchased.

Good evening.

Mac

Nick,

IT WORKED, as you predicted!

I seem to be back up and running.  I have my Orbx Global Base and Vector, LandClass NA, Australia region, weather themes and Lancair IV.  The sim looks almost as good as before the crash, but for Rex SkyForce clouds, which I will soon try to reinstall (with trepidation). 

Many thanks for your patience.

Mac

Windows 10 Home

Core i7 8700

GForce GTX 1070

Z370 AORUS Gaming motherboard

PS --  Maybe you can tell me sometime why the Aussies at Orbx have not included the Lady Elliot airstrip in their Australia region.  LEI is the remote ecoresort at the southern end of the Great Barrier Reef.  I would love to relive our small plane flight from Bundaberg in 2013. 

Hello Mac,

2 hours ago, Mac6737 said:

PS --  Maybe you can tell me sometime why the Aussies at Orbx have not included the Lady Elliot airstrip in their Australia region.  LEI is the remote eco-resort at the southern end of the Great Barrier Reef.  I would love to relive our small plane flight from Bundaberg in 2013. 

Being new to Orbx and the former OZx complimentary sceneries, you may not have known that long ago OZx produced additional freeware content perfectly blended for use in Orbx AU, and  that Anthony Lynch (Ant) through OZx made a very nice rendition of (YLTT - Lady Elliot Island and the resort airport). As of the last few months the OZx  site has been down for some serious reconstruction after a malicious attack, as a result nothing is presently available for download. Hopefully OZx will be back real soon with all former content intact..

EDIT: Here is a link to Ants sceneries for FSX about half way down the page you will see "Volume 8 DL" contains Lady Elliot, but perhaps you would like to enhance your Aussie scenery with the Ants complete Pack listed at the top of the linked page. https://anthony31fs.wordpress.com/downloads/ It contains 9 previous volumes.

There is a glimmer of hope through Orbx though, with the upcoming new version of Australia "Australia V2"  where perhaps this time Lady Elliot has been implemented. I have no firsthand knowledge if this is the case. Perhaps as the release date draws closer we will be able to ask and be shown a few snap shots of our favourite Aussie locations in the AU V2 version.

Archived