Airport Elevation Glitches

Mac6737

I am new to the world of Orbx, so please forgive any material inappropriate to this forum.

First, I have no idea what is considered a "support" Q as opposed to "non-support."  I THINK this is a "support" issue.

I have recently purchased FTX Global Base,  Global Vector and Open LC North America.  In general, I am delighted.  However, I have discovered that some airports do not appear correctly, or at all.  For instance, Las Vegas (KLAS) is just a brown mess.  Also, I discovered that when about to land at Grand Canyon (KGCN), the strip suddenly disappeared behind the surface of the ground.  I was able to land anyway, but could see no airport features once I had.   I have read the support materials that come with the products.  Is this an "Airport Elevation Correction" issue described in the Vector user manual?  If so, do I want to enable or disable?  Or, is the problem that I have never replaced the FSX default mesh?  To make these 3 ORBX products function, must I also purchase Pilot's FS Global 2010?  Or is it now FS Global 2018?  And why do most airports (so far, anyway) look fine?

Any guidance will be gratefully appreciated.

Mac6737

Hello,

a support question can be defined as a question that is asking for

advice about a problem that the customer is having with a product.

A "non-support" question would be any question that does not include such a request.

Both KLAS and KGCN do have Vector Airport Elevation Corrections.

By default, these are all set as enabled.

You might try either running the Vector control panel auto configuration or manually

setting each one to disabled in the same control panel.

This topic will help you with that if needed.

Nick,

Many thanks for your prompt response.

I disabled AEC for KGCN:  It worked!  Then I tried to "GO to . . . ." KLAS but got a scary "fatal error" message or somesuch, telling me to close FSX.  Scared me.  So I shut down, and disabled AEC for KLAS.  Then I started up again, but, being sneaky, did not go to KLAS; instead, went to Nellis AFB and then flew across town to KLAS.  Landed with no problem.  Tomorrow I'll try a more direct approach and start at KLAS, with fingers crossed.

My question about mesh still stands.  For now, though, I am inclined to leave well enough alone.

BTW, I HAD auto-configured Vector.  And yes, Vector had enabled AEC for  both those airports.  But AEC is supposed to be a good thing, right?  (After all, it's called a correction.")  So why would the Orbx default setting screw up airports which were perfectly fine before the install of Vector?   Just wondering.

Thanks again,

Mac

Hello,

you don't need an add on mesh.

Vector is designed to work best with one though and your terrain will look much more

interesting than with the rather coarse default mesh, except perhaps in the USA where

the default mesh is of better quality.

There is Freemesh X if you prefer or numerous Pilot's products and other payware and

freeware mesh too.

Archived