New PC

Guest Mitchell Sale

Hi guys

let me start of in saying im a total noob when it comes to PC hardware so go easy on me  ;D::):P

it's about time to upgrade my PC (if you look at my current PC specs that time was ment to be a long time ago lol)

Ive made a Custom Core i7 machine with these guys https://ipspty.com.au for a pretty good price ..... $2349

here's the specs ......

Intel Core i7 920 (2.66Ghz) 8Mb Cache, Quad Core, LGA1366

Intel X58 - Triple DDR3 - PCI-E 2.0 - SATA RAID - HD Sound - 1 xGigabit LAN (MSI X58-Pro-E)

Cooler Master 690 - - - - Advanced Cooling

Kingston 6Gb, DDR3-1333Mhz - Triple Channel

1 x Western Digital 1TB SATA-II, 7200RPM, 32Mb Cache

1GB, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 285, DDR3

Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit

is it any good guys ... anything I could change?

Cheers,

Mitchell

Intel Core i7 920 (2.66Ghz) 8Mb Cache, Quad Core, LGA1366<<<<>>>you will need to overclock this baby for a good FSX experience

Intel X58 - Triple DDR3 - PCI-E 2.0 - SATA RAID - HD Sound - 1 xGigabit LAN (MSI X58-Pro-E)

Cooler Master 690 - - - - Advanced Cooling

Kingston 6Gb, DDR3-1333Mhz - Triple Channel<<<<>>>>>go for the 1600MHz

1 x Western Digital 1TB SATA-II, 7200RPM, 32Mb Cache<<<<<OS on the 7200RPM one>>>>add one western raptor 300GB 10,000RPM for FSX

1GB, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 285, DDR3

Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit

I concur on the overclocking of the i7 920, but not to fear...with the X58 chipset MB and the i7 chips, overclocking is amazingly simple, not to mention a lot less risky. As long as you have real good air cooling, you can pump a 920 or 940 up pretty good. MAKE SURE that the i7 920 you get is D0 stepping, and not the older C0 stepping . The D0 is the next generation version, and it's more efficient with power comsumption, and is a slightly better overall performer than its predecessor.

When it comes to cooling, DO NOT overlook the importance of a good case with plenty of case fans. Check out the Antec cases as they are pretty good in this area.

I wouldn't go for MSI they don't have the best motherboards around, instead i would go for the Gigabyte X58A-UD7 (USB 3.0, SATA 3) Future Proof ;D .

Intel Core i7 920 [D0 SLBEJ] $329 (NetPlus, WA) [NOTE: the D0 stepping will overclock a lot further and use less power, the extra overclocking potential is the difference between 3.8Ghz on air and 4.0Ghz]

Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD7 $438 (Megaware Computers, NSW)

Cooler Master 690 [case] $99 (Maco Technology, NSW)

Kingston 6GB DDR3 1333Mhz $165 (TX Computer Solutions, NSW)

WD Caviar Black 1TB 7200rpm 32mb cache $115 (I.Store, VIC)

GTX 285 1GB [Gainward] $390 (MSY , NSW, VIC, SA, QLD, WA)

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 $119 (Computer Upgrade & Parts, NSW)

TOTAL: $1655

650W PSU $106

24x DVD-RW SATA $31

$1792

Recommended Extras

CPU Coolers

$118 Corsair Hydro H50 {all in one Water CPU Cooler}

$82 Cooler Master V8 / High end CPU air cooler

Total with Corsair Hydro H50: $1910

Total with Cooler Master v8: $1874

Hi guys

let me start of in saying im a total noob when it comes to PC hardware so go easy on me  ;D::):P

it's about time to upgrade my PC (if you look at my current PC specs that time was ment to be a long time ago lol)

Ive made a Custom Core i7 machine with these guys https://ipspty.com.au for a pretty good price ..... $2349

here's the specs ......

Mitch, there's not a hell of a lot wrong with your present computer.

But if you want to upgrade it the first thing is , How much money are you prepared to spend?

For example my machine cost over $7,000 and ther are a few things I still want to improve.

Mitch, there's not a hell of a lot wrong with your present computer.

Actually Jack, I respectifully disagree .. the Pentium-D will be causing FSX to groan - even with sliders to the left, and from memory Mitch is using a 7300 (IMHO the 7xxx are the worst graphics cards Nvidia ever made, and I have one in the cupboard if someone would like to try it)

Mitch, most of the advice above has it covered.

D0-i7-920 (yes, important)  It will need to be overclocked, so consider budgeting for some extra cooling in the future.  You will be (a little) disappointed by a 920 running stock clock speeds.

CM-690 is a good value case (one of my computers has one, good layout, easy to access drive bays)

Get better RAM - for some reason computer builders chuck in the cheapest slowest RAM they can find (to keep costs down I suspect).

Hmmm, I have to concur with the MSI board.  I really don't like them at all - but it has been a long time since I bought one.

Finally, as DWho suggested, if you source the bits from multiple places you may be able to build it cheaper yourself, but watch the shipping costs.  Or - use the list and try to bargain a little harder. ;)

I wouldn't go for MSI they don't have the best motherboards around, instead i would go for the Gigabyte X58A-UD7 (USB 3.0, SATA 3) Future Proof ;D .

Intel Core i7 920 [D0 SLBEJ] $329 (NetPlus, WA) [NOTE: the D0 stepping will overclock a lot further and use less power, the extra overclocking potential is the difference between 3.8Ghz on air and 4.0Ghz]

Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD7 $438 (Megaware Computers, NSW)

Cooler Master 690 [case] $99 (Maco Technology, NSW)

Kingston 6GB DDR3 1333Mhz $165 (TX Computer Solutions, NSW)

WD Caviar Black 1TB 7200rpm 32mb cache $115 (I.Store, VIC)

GTX 285 1GB [Gainward] $390 (MSY , NSW, VIC, SA, QLD, WA)

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 $119 (Computer Upgrade & Parts, NSW)

TOTAL: $1655

650W PSU $106

24x DVD-RW SATA $31

$1792

Recommended Extras

CPU Coolers

$118 Corsair Hydro H50 {all in one Water CPU Cooler}

$82 Cooler Master V8 / High end CPU air cooler

Total with Corsair Hydro H50: $1910

Total with Cooler Master v8: $1874

thanks Dwho, alot cheaper and alot better and i guess i will have to build it myself

Cheers,

Mitchell

Intel Pentium D 805 Dual Core Processor / 3GB DDR2 Memory / 160GB 7200rpm SATA Hard Drive / NVIDIA GeForce 7300LE / Windows XP SP3.

The Pentium D is the Achilles heel of this system if the MoBo allows drop the Best Cor Duo CPU in there from eBay and breath new life into it until the major upgrade.  Upgrading the Graphics will help a lot to I suspect.

Archived