YMML Performance

Sir Ash

I'm thinking of getting the YMML airport tonight from the FSS sale (and FSX GO), but am not sure on how good it will perform. My computer's getting an upgrade to 4GB RAM and a Nvidia 9800GT graphics card at the moment which should much improve my current FPS. With all the new patches and fixes on it thought, I'm just wandering as of now, how much on average does the FPS drop?

I used to get around 5 FPS with the default airport (but would probably get around 10 with the new upgrade). I was thinking of getting YSCH, but would prefer to get an international airport, and I think the freeware YPMQ and YSTW will do me around that area for now.

Ive got a E6850 @3.4ghz 8600gt 512mb 4gig ram  Under Windows 7 ultimate I can a stable proformance with the sliders in the dense setting and FULL AI and get a very smooth very solid 16-25 FPS

Windows 7 saved my $2k plus in all new hardware,,,

Happy new year!!

I doubt if you will get much of an improvement.To get noticable improvement you need to improve your cpu.

With a quad core clocked to 4.2 I get over 20fps,but flying towards the Hilton Hotel they still drop to about 14.

I still think it's worth buying though. Just don't try doing aerobatics in a jet.

I'm thinking of getting the YMML airport tonight from the FSS sale (and FSX GO), but am not sure on how good it will perform. My computer's getting an upgrade to 4GB RAM and a Nvidia 9800GT graphics card at the moment which should much improve my current FPS. With all the new patches and fixes on it thought, I'm just wandering as of now, how much on average does the FPS drop?

Well I have just taken advantage of the FSS sale and bought the remaining 3 Orbx airports that I did not have, Jandakot, Avalon (YMAV) and Melbourne (YMML). TBH, having heard of the system hit associated with YMML I probably would not have got it until I next upgraded or if Orbx had worked some magic on it to improve performance. I currently have all the features in FTXCentral turned off for YMML but have left my other settings where they are. I'm getting FPS in the low teens at best, dropping to 5-10 FPS generally. I typically get at worst around 15 FPS for a second or so at other airports and usually manage between 20-30 depending on where I'm looking.

Don't get me wrong though I think YMML looks great and when I eventually upgrade my machine I'm sure it will see quite a lot of use but for now I think I'll be visting it rarely either that or I will do some tweaking so I can achieve a flyable FPS. TBH if there are other Orbx airports you still don't have I would get those first and save YMML until last. It's a big airport and looks great so my view is no way intended to be anti-YMML and the performance I experienced was of no real surprise to me. HTH.  :)

Archived