Looking for advice...considering wallet clearing purchases

Probably asked many times.. I can only apologize for having little Google-foo finding definitive answers on this.

I'm returning to the flight sim world after a few years away. I have a very few sceneries or addons from before, but do have UTX, Rex, global Toposim mesh coverage (being an old Galaxy Member) and FSXSE itself.

My computer is at best considerd mid-range at this point:

Lenovo K450, i4790 3.2Ghz

16 GB Ram

250GB SSD/4TB HDD

GTX 745 video card

32" Specter monitor

I'm mostly going to be flying GA in the USA/North America - possibly a round the world flight in 6 months or so.

So, the first question is, having seen the phenomenal results possible in YouTube videos using P3D and the Orbx products, and considering that it would be in the neighborhood of $450plus to "trick out" a new system with P3D, Orbx Global base, Global Vector, Global lcNA and Trees, is there $200 difference in performance or visible impact between what I'd see and how the sim would "fly" between the P3D/Orbx-Ftx combo and the FSXSE/Orbx-Ftx combo? ($200 is obviously the cost of P3D..the Orbx products cost the same either way.)

Second question, if I initially stick with FSXSE, would the Orbx products be installable/work with P3D without having to repurchase them?

Thanks

Welcome to the forum(s). Just my humble opinion but.....I'd go with FSXSE and save the $ for later. The biggest difference between FSX and P3D is that P3D is 64-bit...which means that Out-Of-Memory (OOM) errors are a thing of the past. But...(there is always one of those) if you fly GA the OOM problem is greatly decreased. P3D offers a greater eye-candy experience but with your current system I'd stick with FSX, at least for a while.  If you decide later to change and go with P3D the ORBX products can be installed at no extra charge. In fact, you can have FSX and P3D installed at the same time with all the ORBX "stuff" in both sims. You'll love the ORBX scenery...it makes a world of difference...................Doug

I am no expert but I would agree with Triplane , go with FSXSE for now and see if you are happy with it .  I would also invest in the Pacific North West area . There are lots of free airfields for you to fly to and from .

Regards 

In all fairness guys the cost of P3D Academic is not really the issue here and falls into insignificance against the cost of a new graphics card...... whether using P3D or FSXSE you will need to be on the lookout for an upgrade in the graphics department as a GTX745 won’t cut it if you’re after the nice visuals.

For sure you will definitely see a marked improvement with ORBX products and overral will have a better experience, however you will be running at very low settings and you won’t get the true benefit of your investment into the ORBX world. 

My advice would be to trawl sites online and look for a used GTX970 or higher .... or possibly an RX480/RX580; because this will make the single biggest change to your experience....... everything else on your computer setup will see you fine including the cpu (i7), 16GB memory and your SSD..... and for the record, FSX is not a true 'multi-threaded' application, it does not distribute the load across your CPU's properly, nor does it know anything about off-loading any of that load to the GPU, and it only has 3GB of memory to play with. Prepar3d on the other hand is a 64bit application, it's more of a true 'multi-threaded' application, although not much better arguably, it makes attempts to distribute load across the CPUs more evenly, and to offload some of the work to the GPU, plus it can access all of your memory..... not just 3GB, so OOM errors are a thing of the past.....and its actively being developed with v4.3 expected soon.  

After that I’d consider FTX Global to improve your base textures and possibly Global Vector if you intend to fly worldwide, but if not, then you can ignore vector for now and buy a landclass / fat region, as a fat region contains the vector data for the region anyway. 

So next would be Open Landclass North America, and a “fat” region such as Pacific North West (PNW), for no other reason than its stunning, along with the excellent freeware packs from ORBX for GA airports, AI Traffic and TreesHD; possibly followed by a couple of NA payware airports for extra immersion and you’re well and truly on your way to ORBX eye candy......... you’ll have a beautiful looking environment to fly in for a relatively low startup cost....... maybe even have some money left over towards that P3D licence giving you the 64 bit (it really is worth it not to have be constantly tweaking FSX anymore), and/or active sky. 

Welcome to the forums, and let us know what you decide :) 

Terry

Thanks for the replies.

I appreciate the different perspectives/reasonings.

FWIW, the cost of Academic vs Professional is quite a bit. I'm not sure I can ethically buy the Academic version - the school age grandkids do come over and would fly, but...well, it's my computer. So, $60 vs $200 is a definite consideration for me.

Just to sort close out and sort of update anyone reading this thread, I decided to stick with FSX:SE and spend the money on the Orbx products for now. As indicated by others here and elsewhere, I can always move to P3Dv4 later.

So, I went ahead and bought FTX GlobalBase, Global Vector, Open Landclass North America and Trees. My wallet's definitely lighter. I am in the process of downloading and installing it all now. I don't have anything left for any Regions or individual airports - I'm military retiree on a fixed income too young to take advantage of Orbx Senior Discount. So... time to save....and save...and save, I guess.

Thanks for all the advice.

I'm glad we were able to help some. All of this stuff is really subjective and it's often hard to know what to do. I think you've made the right choice. Drop back in in a few weeks and let us know how you're doing. And, don't forget to take a really good look at the default scenery so that you'll know just how good the ORBX scenery really is :).....Doug

Okay...thanks.

Now for the really stoopid question.

I installed FTX Central, used it to download and theoretically install all the above noted scenery products.

Um, how can I determine that it actually DID install correctly?

I see what I think are differences, but shouldn't there be an entry in Scenery Library or something that I can look at? (It's been a while since I did this... at least 5 years.)

But I see NO entry I can identify as an Orbx product....none.

Okay.... I messed up... didn't see the Settings button down at the bottom of the FTX Central window.

So, I didn't go in there... and didn't choose a Library Insertion Point...

Can I do it now or do I have to do something manually?

The files are in the proper directory, I am pretty sure...   ..\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX\Orbx\  ...see below pic.

Orbx-Steam_dir.jpg

Where to go from here?

Man I feel dumb...

Okay...whew.... Using that web page's info, I found that the products had installed but just not in the "correct" location in the Scenery Library. I moved each entry up or down to match what was on that list. I think it's all in the right place and order now.  

At least I can fly now....

Thanks for putting up with my "omg what did I do & what do I do now?" fit. I usually don't engage in that kind of public posting.

You need to switch OFF the DX10 Preview mode and restart the sim to fix the issue with the lights...... its a known problem with FSX

The DX10 mode was half-baked at best back then, so there are issues, and you will have to run in DX9, or alternatively you could consider purchasing Steve's DX10 fixer (https://stevesfsxanalysis.wordpress.com) which addresses a number of issues from FSX DX10 preview mode. 

Terry

No worries, happy to help..... but if you are sticking with FSX, look into Steve's DX10 fixer because it will resolve a lot of issues and is a low cost solution.

One other thing....don't forget to install the following ORBX freeware which will give you a lot of airports and GA Traffic for free

I hope you enjoy the sim, and based on your original comments, maybe consider the Pacific North West fat region later on......it really is one of the best looking add-ons available from ORBX..... or better still, wait for the next sale :)

Terry

Terry, I have the freeware you mentioned. It's loaded and works great...definitely worth what I paid for it! ;-) (wink)

I'm not sure/convinced about the DX10 fixer purchase (another ~$30) as I obviously don't understand benefit it provides (other than "fix" the issue I "solved" by turning off the DX10 Preview as mentioned above). And doesn't Win 10, which I am running, use DX12 now? Perhaps you see another aspect of my confusion now...?

It doesn't quite work like that...... Windows applications are actually coded against a specific version of DirectX; and FSX was coded against DX9, so will use the DX9 libraries exclusively. Rather than me trying to explain side-by-side loading of assemblies, or the issues with DX10 (because its complicated and somewhat boring); just stick to the standard DX9 mode of FSX for now and leave the DX10 preview mode 'unticked'; in which case don't worry about Steves DX10 fixer, and you'll be OK anyway. 

Save the $30 and put it towards ORBX Pacific North West down the line and I'm sure you'll be very happy.....  you now have the key items for an immersive experience in North America, and with Base+Vector, you have the basics in place for when you venture further afield.  :)

Thanks Terry.

I'm most often inclined to go with the "easy" way of doing things... So, per your advice, I won't worry about DX10 for now.

I tend to live by the old adage: If it ain't broke, don't fix it

because I can and have broken way too many things too many times trying to "fix" them even f they might not need fixin', if you know what I mean?!?

I guess I'll eventually go to the PNW, but I just don't "relate to it" right now (actually seldom have in real life either).

Shrug... different strokes for different folkes...

Appreciate the more than 2 cents you've contributed here.

8 hours ago, tmarshall said:

Save the $30 and put it towards ORBX Pacific North West down the line and I'm sure you'll be very happy..... 

Really, really good advice. I'm glad it's all finally working.....whoopie..........Doug

On ‎6‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 7:33 PM, drmweaver2_gmail said:

Thanks for the replies.

I appreciate the different perspectives/reasonings.

FWIW, the cost of Academic vs Professional is quite a bit. I'm not sure I can ethically buy the Academic version - the school age grandkids do come over and would fly, but...well, it's my computer. So, $60 vs $200 is a definite consideration for me.

I also had an ethics problem with "academic"

However after working for them for 22 years I decided to buy p3d anyway.

Really happy with it, too.... even though I haven't slept in years.

:D

Archived