Migrating from P3D v3 to v4

I am about to migrate from v3 to v4.  I have my Win10 system on my C Drive (19.4GB free of 118GB), I have v3 on my F Drive (118 GB free of 178GB). [ I wanted to install all my Orbx scenery on my E Drive (517GB free) but it all went onto my F drive with v3.]

I am concerned that when I download v4 it will take up too much space on my C drive (why it needs to go onto my C drive I do not know); LM says it will need +13GB on my C drive.  I am thinking of deleting v3 to recover space on the C drive, following Elaine's guide, but am concerned that if I do that it will remove all my Orbx scenery as well.  I would like to remove v3 from the F drive but leave the Orbx scenery so I can use it with the newly installed v4.

Can this be done, please?

Thank you.

Hello,

welcome to the forums.

P3D v4 does indeed add 13 GB to the C drive.

With only 19 GB of free space, it may well be that the P3D installer may have a problem but

I do not guarantee that it will and if you want support for P3D v4, you will need to visit the P3D forum.

To prevent FTX Central from using the default Windows temp folders which are on the C drive also,

you should opt in to the Fastlane and update to version 3.3.0.4.

On the settings page, you will see an option to make FTX Central use a location of your choice, instead of the default temp folders.

In an ideal world, you should keep your current installation of Orbx products and FTX Central will copy most files locally when you install

the products into P3D v4.

I cannot comment on your drive space:

I am thinking of deleting v3 to recover space on the C drive

I would like to remove v3 from the F drive 

It does not seem to be clear what you have installed already and where.

If you can clarify, there might be a little more advice possible.

Thank you for the reply.  I thought I would just have Win 10 (64 bit) on the C drive and put everything else on either my Flight Sim F drive (a 256 SSD) and my scenery on my E drive (a 1 TB HD).  So I am a bit surprised to find so much on my C drive.

I will look at the links you have shown and have a hard think about what to do next.  I appreciate your help.

Regards,

Tregarth

I have had a clean out of my C Drive and deleted 25 GB from my Downloads folder.

I now have v3.3.0.4 of FTX Central.  I cannot see a window which will let me choose on which drive to put my Orbx scenery .  I was expecting to see a window which said something like "Required location of Orbx Scenery" C Drive, D Drive, E Drive, F Drive. I would then create an Orbx folder on the E Drive and copy the Orbx Scenery to this location so I would have the add-on scenery in a separate location.  Then I could delete P3D v3 from the F Drive (a SSD) put P3D v4 on the F drive and tell it to look on the E drive for the scenery.

Have I misunderstood you?

Thank you for your help.

Tregarth

Hello,

yes, I think you have misunderstood.

The option in FTX Central does not allow you to choose where to install the scenery,

it must be installed into your simulator root folder and the location of that is stored in

your Windows Registry when you install the simulator and read from there by FTX Central.

The option in FTX Central does allow you to choose the location that FTX Central uses

to both download the files and run the installer.

If you follow the advice above, FTX Central will add no files at all to your C drive.

The 13GB that the P3D v4 installer adds to the C drive is a set of back up files for P3D to reinstall from.

It is nothing at all to do with Orbx and as far as I am aware, can be deleted without doing any harm to P3D.

I hope so because I have deleted the files from mine.

Hello 

Regarding Installing Prepar3D,  Just to add something here.  

For future reference,  If hard drive space is an Issue on your Operating system,  You can Install the components Individually,  Client, Content and Scenery.  This method does not require any Operating system hard drive space.

Note: If you use this method of Installing Prepar3D Ensure your Windows system is up to date with all available Important updates applied 

Please see the Topic below from a User with a similar question 

http://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6322&t=129632

Thank you both for your helpful replies and advice.  I am gathering information and cleaning up my PC's storage for when I make the "Great Leap".  In the meantime I will print your advice so I can't loose it.

Best regards,

Tregarth

Woking, Surrey

Archived