Current Computer and New Computer

Sir Ash

Hey guys,

I am planning to hopefully have a new computer sometime in the new year. I'm not an absolute fanatic on real top stuff, just basic stuff bought from stores like Officeworks, JB Hi Fi etc.

Here's one of the HP desktop computers I found in JB Hi Fi for a pretty good price...

- Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 2.93ghz CPU

- 4GB RAM

- 500GB HDD

- Windows 7

- Nvidia Geforce G210 3d Pci-express Graphics Card

Would it run FSX and FTX well at high settings? Also, how much better do you think it will do than me current computer (specs are in my signature)?

With my current computer, on high settings (but autogen on dense) with a few recommended tweaks in FSX.cfg, I get about 4-6fps around cities and YSTW, while out further else I get about 10fps. I've been thinking about just upgrading the RAM to 4GB, but am thinking about a new computer for flight sim anyway, which would probably be better. Currently on the computer, I have also been getting numerous blue screens sometimes when I first start it up, and have had the computer shut down randomly (but have noted 100% CPU usage, which isn't really usual while doing what I have always been doing).

One last question, my C Drive is almost full (only about 10GB left) and I'm planning to move FSX to the D Drive (which has about 200GB left). If I do move it, would it prove performance at all or stay the same? Also, if I do move it, would I need to change anything or can I just install directly into D Drive (but would need to create the Program Files folder)?

Thanks for any help, it's a pain at the moment with performance and the computer. Also, just a quick note again that I'm only looking for basic stuff, not the real hardcore hardware.

The Geforce 210 isn't much of a gaming GPU its more designed for a home media pc or just playing games like the Sims 3 not so much FSX. Having a look at JB Hi-FI it looks like the PC ur thinking about getting is the HP Pavilion Slimline Desktop PC for $1384 http://www.jbhifi.com.au/computers/hp/pavilion-slimline-desktop-pc-package-50808/

For a Similar price you could build an Intel Core i5 Quad Core Build that would run FSX really well

$209 Intel Quad Core i5-750 [iT Estate (NSW)]

$199 Nvidia 9800 GTX+ 512mb [GameDude Computers (QLD)]

$69 WD Caviar Blue 500GB [PCDIY (NSW/VIC)]

$228 Corsair CMG4GX3M2A1600C7 4GB 1600 MHz [Tiger Direct (NSW)

$239 Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD5 {USB 3.0 SATA 3.0 Future PROOF ;D} [Computer Alliance (QLD)]

Add

$164 for a 650 W PSU

$115 for a Mid Tower Case

$45 for a DVD RW

An optional Extra

$118 Corsair Hydro H50 {all in one Water CPU Cooler}

$82 Cooler Master V8 / High end CPU air cooler

TOTAL: With Corsair Hydro H50 $1386

TOTAL: With CM V8 $1350

Unless D Drive is a second Physical Drive you probably wont notice a performance increase. All you would need to do is move the Flight Simulator X Directory over to your D Drive and run the ORBX registry Fix and point it to where ur FSX is installed and your all set.

Ok, well, I only just want to just get a computer as is, put together from the shop instead of getting all the bits and pieces by itself and then attempting to get it put together, or pay for someone else to put it together.

And yes, that is the computer i am thinking of getting, but the computer by itself (we don't need to buy another monitor with it) costs about $900 or something around that, which is a pretty good price. I still have my ATi Radeon 2400 HD Pro card, but I am looking to upgrade it also to a 4800 HD Pro or similar, so I can put that into the new computer.

Seeing how that the PC ur thinking of getting is a Slim Tower PC the ATI 4800 series GPU probably wont be able to fit not to mention that the PSU probably wont have PCI-E power connectors since the Geforce 210 is a low profile Card and draws its power through the motherboard. Going custom build is a better way to go, If you get a custom build not only are u spending the $1300 or so for 1 particular build but you will also spending for new builds in the future, lets say u upgrade to an i7 860 or 870 instead of forking out nearly $1000+ for a new Consumer desktop u only spend around $200-$300 to upgrade the CPU. It ends up being a lot more cost efficient way and at the end of the day u end up with a computer that's a lot more powerful and upgradeableĀ  ;D

Well, by the sounds of it, next week I may bring the computer into the computer shop to get an upgrade. I'm planning to upgrade the RAM to 4GB (any suggestions on brands? I would only need to get another 2GB stick wouldn't I?), and am also, not sure yet, but may also upgrade my graphics card to 4800 HD Pro. I don't think I'll get a new computer for FSX for quite some time.

Anyway, does that sound ok? Any thoughts on how better the performance for me will be? I'm not too fussy on FPS, am ok with 10fps, but more would be great, but I still want to have graphics on high.

Archived