Holgermesh etc

pastribe

Hi all,

I downloaded and installed both the Holgermesh and the scenery package yesterday and I've got a couple of questions:

1. The terrain is now different on several airports that I've previously visited and quite different to the real world (i.e Lakes Entrance) - I was using Holger's mesh for FSX previously and assumed that the terrain would be similar if not the same.

2. Some of the new airports I've visited are placed several feet above the terrain mesh and you keep sinking and jumping back up as you move around - Georgetown in Tas is one example.

3. Should I delete VSX or keep it with the new scenery?

4. When I loaded FSX this morning the Holgermesh had disappeared from my scenery registry and FTX had moved from where I had placed it with the rest of my Oz scenery to the top of the registry.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated as this seems otherwise to be another fantastic package from the VOZ team.

Cheers, Phil

Hi Phil,

We recommend uninstalling VSX for now, as it's been retired and the new Orbx freeware will be replacing all the current fields in VSX.

Not sure what you mean by the terrain being different? Can you show some screenshots examples?

Holgermesh should not affect the operation of any airfields. I don't have any issues at Georgetown. Again, a screenshot would help us determine some of your issues there.

FTX is automatically placed at the top of your scenery library and Holgermesh (if you used our installer) should be at the very top, where it can live quite happily. If you moved the FTX scenery libraries down earlier, then installed Holgermesh, then yes, that explains it - the scenery library configurator application would have moved the FTX and Holgermesh entries back to the top. That's just the way it does its sort and reorders it. You can move the entries back down again if you're fussy about your order, but keep in mind anytime you install another Orbx product they will move back up again according to our sort order. To be honest there's no real advantage to moving the entries around the scenery library - it does not impact their functionality or performance at all to leave them at their default Orbx locations.

Hi Phil

I made the airfields to suit Holgermesh, so am surprised yours aren't matching.  I only put the runway a couple of cm higher than the flatten I put in -so it doesn't unroll as you move along it.  Do you have your mesh resolution set at 76m and your scenery complexity at 100% with texture resolution at 1m?  Of course, only the mesh resolution matters but you can get it mixed up with the others.

Thanks for the quick replies. I can't do screen shots unfortunately but there seems to be hills etc where there weren't before. Lakes Entrance is the best example - now the Princes Hwy runs through the middle of the airfield and it's surrounded by hills or banks that weren't there before (nor are they there in real life).

I'll try re-installing and adjusting my mesh resolution etc and let you know how that goes.

Cheers, Phil

Hi again,

I've shuffled textures etc around and gone through my AFCADs and weeded out any duplicates I could find, and that seems to have solved most of the problems.

I've still got one question though - at Yaltara Mission in SA is it supposed to be a gravel strip or Tar? When I first visited there was a tar strip and default fences about 6 feet above a gravel strip. Since I've changed things the tar & fences are now on the ground but seems to overlay a gravel strip. Thought I'd ask what was supposed to be there before I go hunting for more AFCAD - good thing I used to be a detective!

Cheers, Phil

Archived