Airport uninstall

bodean713

I have orbx base pack, Global Vector and North America.  When Orbx had their last big 50% off sale, I bought several airports for FSX as well as several NA Regions and I installed all of them.    Now my computer with an I7 processor runs out of memory and FSX crashes.  This seldom happened before this.  This even happens when I fly to an airport with no addition region or airport installed.  I get the feeling that I should uninstall all of them and reinstall them if I am going to be flying into the region and the airport within the orbx airport within the region.  I am not sure if this is the correct thing to do and I don't know if FSX loads every installed Orbx region and airport or just the ones that it needs along to get from point A to point B.  I also use Rex Essentials with overdrive most of the time.  Thanks ahead of time for any help.  

Hi

You do not need to uninstall anything, all you need to do is uncheck\deactivate scenery in your scenery library.

This is a decades old issue caused by the VAS limitations of the 32bit FSX application, and the remedies are too numerous for me to list here. Please do a Google search using the terms "FSX OOM (out of memory)" and "VAS (virtual address space)" , or you could also do a search on these forums starting by first clicking on the "Home" button on the top left corner of this page and using the serach window on the right side, and will be overwhelmed with information.

It basically boils down to FSX being a 32bit program that can only make use of 4gb of virtual address space memory (VAS), so when you try to run tons of addons at high settings with a powerful PC it consumes all of the available VAS very rapidly and crashes with the out of memory error. So the more horsepower you have to run detailed scenery and complex aircraft at the highest settings the faster you will create an OOM. It has nothing to do with your computer running out of RAM.

The newer version 64bit simulators do not have this problem.

Cheers

Doug

Archived