GigaRAID vs Adaptec 1430SA

Ian Routley

Having complained about GIGARAID ... I finally did something about it, and migrated FSX onto a new Adaptec HostRAID array.

Same Drives, Same Capacity ... newly formatted array (hence unfragmented) - which shouldn't affect this test that much.

Here is a comparison FYI.

What have I noticed? ... well I can't say I had a real problem, but there does appear to be a slight improvment in texture load.

The info is presented as is ....  but my interpretation is that GIGARAID bottlenecks Raptors

post-967-130204073708_thumb.png

post-967-130204073715_thumb.png

Hi Ian

You gave me some advice some time ago when I was thinking of installing a similar setup. Well I did it!  (see spec below).. There is no doubt that loading times are vastly improved and certain aspects of the sim are quicker too eg bringing up FSDiscover info but I'm still not convinced that texture loading has really benefitted. However its early days and there is still some tweaking to do I'm sure.

Have managed to get my i7 920 to 3.8 GHz without any probs but I can't seem to get it to the magic 4.0GHz level. I keep looking at O/C forums but they all appear to suggest different things. Perhaps thats the problem - as with FSX, each pc setup is different.

Must now start to concentrate on flying. Thanks JV and team for a wonderful 2009 and I'm sure we are all looking forward to 2010 with great anticipation.  Merry Christmas  :)

Oh and just some screenshots over Aeropelican.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Pete

Archived