Question about the new CityScene Technology used in Gold Coast

fabs79

Hi,

I only had a few minutes to test the new Gold Coast scenery but the performance was incredible. My fps are almost doubled compared to "classic" Cityscapes like Canberra. Now I wondered if this new technology could also be used to improve performance in regions with massive urban environments, like Los Angeles in SoCal, San Francisco in NorCal or the large metropolitan areas in Germany North and South. I don´t mean that all those cities would have to be created as a payware quality CityScene with photoreal backgrounds, POIs and the likes, but just using the new method to increase performance in full fat regions that feature such large urban areas. LA for example is a no-fly-zone for me in SoCal at the moment, because fps drop way below twenty when I fly there, while the more rural areas perform great. I´d gladly pay for a patch that would eliminate those performance killer areas in FTX regions so I could fly smoothly anywhere in a region, and this new technology seems like a way to achieve this.

Cheers,

Fabian

46 minutes ago, John Venema said:

You’d pay for a patch but not for a CityScene?

Of course I´d pay for a CityScene,  I actually just did a few days ago when I bought Gold Coast :). What I meant was that developing a full scale CityScene for every large urban area within an ORBX region (Los Angeles, San Francisco, Sidney, Melbourne, Hamburg, Rhein-Ruhr Metropolitan Area just to name a few) might be a huge, time consuming task with creating and editing photoreal backgrounds, creating custom POIs and alle the other things involved in the process. If I remember correctly Canberra Cityscape was three years in the making. So I thought maybe it´s possible to just take the existing scenery within a region (where cities are represented with landclass, autogen and a few landmark buildings) and use the new technique to increase performance. Or does this technique not work when using a landclass system to represent a city? Of course I´d love to see every major city modeled as a full-blown CityScene, but I think this won`t happen because of time and disk space limits.

Cheers, Fabian

Archived