Gold Coast City Scape OOMS FSX

christiaan

Have several Australian & New Zealand sceneries and bought the Gold Coast Scenery yesterday.

Also downloaded the latest version of the scenery library objects

Tested it twice and I got an out of memory after 10 minutes, near to all the skyscrapers.

Never had this issue with the other ORBX sceneries.

Have others this issue?

I have tested the scenery again after I disabled the Gold Coast in the Scenery Library.

This time I had no issues flying over the area.

As you can see from the attached image I get a lot of skyscrapers along the coast which are also in the Gold Coast scenery I bought yesterday.

Very strange, maybe this is what is giving the OOM issue ( double scenery ?? ).

GOLD COAST WITHOUT SCENERY 2018.jpg

I don't think it's the scenery. I just ran a test flight in the default C172 from YSPT down the coast to YBCG. All the sliders were set full-right (including Traffic). Using FSUIPC to measure it, the remaining VAS on takeoff was 2.24GB and on landing there was still 1.75GB remaining. Lots of buildings and "stuff" on that route. As petfy says, I'd look at the aircraft..........Doug

Made a support ticket as I was not satisfied at the quality of this scenery as all my other Australian sceneries are good.

Support thinks that my Simulation cannot keep up with the scenery.

Also have Canberra CityScape and I have just noticed that the texture sizes in the Gold Coast scenery are huge in comparison to Canberra.

Could this be the issue which is causing some of us getting long loading times, ooms and blurred scenery.

Maybe the developer can make a lighter version using smaller size textures like Canberra that will end the issues.

8 hours ago, christiaan said:

Is it possible to get an answer if my suggestion about reduces textures is feasible.

First, the long load times are most likely due to the FTX Object Libraries, which are required with each FTX product.    If you add in the FTX AU product that also increases the load times just a bit.    And lastly, Gold Coast does increase load times also, but just a bit.    Add all 3 products and the load times are going to be a total sum of them all.

I have tested Gold Coast standalone and it only pauses at 6% for a few seconds on a mid range system (I do have an SSD storage device).   When I add in all other products it takes about a minute.   You may be able to verify this by temporarily disabling all other products in the Scenery Library.

Gold Coast and the logic behind it are designed to reduce load times (outside of the photoscenery) because the texture sheets are highly optimized and shared (which also leads to reduced numbers of draw calls) Yes, the main texture sheet is 4096 x 4096 for the commercial objects and high rises.  But, I doubt that is making a big difference in the load times based on my tests.

We could make an optional set of reduced textures.   I just don't think that will make a lot of difference honestly and will greatly reduce the building clarity (assuming you are running P3D or make sure you are supporting high res textures in FSX).

In FSX, the default maximum texture sheet size is defined as 1024x1024.  This does not mean that FSX won't handle larger sheets, because it will.   It will just reduce them during loading, depending on the setting in your FSX.CFG file.

The "TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD", which is in the "GRAPHICS" section of the FSX.CFGF file specifies the maximum texture resolution.

[GRAPHICS]
TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=1024

In P3D (Prepar3d.cfg), here is the setting by default

[GRAPHICS]
TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=4096

In order to get FSX to support the higher resolution textures associated with many 3rd party products, you just have to change the "TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD" value to 4096 in your FSX.CFG file.  After doing this, your Gold Coast textures will look 4x more sharp.   

Where is the FSX.CFG file located ?   You can find it in your "Users\Your Name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX" folder, where "Your Name" is your windows user name.

The problem with FSX, is that every time you make changes to your "Graphics" settings, FSX will reset the TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=1024.    Then, you have to update the setting yourself again.

For more information, you can just do a web search on "TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD & FSX" and you will find a lot of good articles on it.   I did a search this morning and found a freeware editor that may make this process easier.   You can find it at the link below:

https://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads/files/18947/fsx-texture-max-load-editor-v12197/

Again, I do want to point out that the higher resolution textures are supported by FSX.  It is just that FSX will reduce the resolution unless the "TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD" value is  changed.

Hope this helps.    I will check with others at Orbx to see if this subject is covered somewhere else on this site or in the project installation notes.    And, I will consider releasing a low resolution set of the textures for those FSX users that want them.

Cheers,

Archived