OEM or Retail ??

Andy68

Looking at building a new PC soon so I can get the best out of FSX (and FTX of course). 

I'm a bit unsure on the OEM version of Windows and the definition of System Builder.  The PC will be built by myself, for myself.  Is there any problems with installing OEM as opposed to retail?  I know the restrictions about changing hardware etc.

It would be good to hear other peoples experiences.

Cheers,

Andy

Looking at building a new PC soon so I can get the best out of FSX (and FTX of course). 

I'm a bit unsure on the OEM version of Windows and the definition of System Builder.  The PC will be built by myself, for myself.  Is there any problems with installing OEM as opposed to retail?  I know the restrictions about changing hardware etc.

It would be good to hear other peoples experiences.

Cheers,

Andy

Go for the retail version, I did buy a OEM version of Vista 32-bit once and I had nothing but problem trying to install SP1 on it......I may be the only one who had problem with the OEM version but that was a deal breaker for me.

Hi

There is nothing wrong with using the OEM if you think of a few facts.  The OEM is supplied for 1 machine and 1 activation alone which means that once you have made your computer you cannot make any major changes to your machine again. This includes changing the main drive that windows is on or the mother board. If you change the machine you will need to reactivate windows and this you will not be able to do because you have the OEM version. If you are constantly making changes to your machine or would like the opportunity to upgrade your machine later then go for the full version of windows.

Ken  :)

I've heard that you need to first install the OEM Preinstallation Kit (OPK).  Does that even come with the OEM version? 

I'll probably keep the system unchanged, so the problem with reinstalling the OS shouldn't be a problem.....unless any of the hardware fails!

Hi

By my understanding pre installation kit is for suppliers that need to speed up the process of making multiple installs.  Since you are doing it on your own machine this time factor doesn't come into the equation. You will be able to install windows straight off the disc. Hope this helps.

Ken

OEM is fine if you want a cheap one shot deal .

If you want to be able to maintain your PC upgrade or have that OS for future systems etc then Retail is the ONLY way since you will have the CD and not a Pre-install or some shitty recovery disk.

I've been running Vista x64 home premium OEM on my wife's machine for a while now, with multiple hardware changes, CPU, GPU, MB and a new HD. Windows did not de-activate post GPU upgrade but did after the CPU/MB  upgrade. I just called  up MS and told them a part had died and was being replaced (not being upgraded) and they activated it, no questions asked.

Just my experience.

~cheers

PS. My suggestion is go for W7 instead of Vista, if you have the option.

I've bought both retail and OEM Win7 64 and 32.

You cannot discount the cost saving with OEM (altho you do need to buy hardware with it, too). It is cheaper because there is less packaging and as a supplier the tech support is limited.

I've installed and reactivated multiple copies of the same OEM software on the same machine (I use 3 different drives for the same PC).

This is perfectly legal, by the way!

However, you also need to consider the downside of OEM, which has already been stated, that you cannot upgrade your computer and try reactivating OEM software.

For anybody who is tech savvy, there are benefits and saving by using OEM, so do your buy accordingly.

Frank

This is the official OEM line from http://oem.microsoft.com/script/contentPage.aspx?pageid=552857

Authorized Distribution and Acceptance. To distribute the Software or Hardware in this Pack (OEM), you must be a System Builder

and accept this license. “System Builder†means an original equipment manufacturer, an assembler, a refurbisher, or a software

pre-installer that sells the Customer System(s) to a third party. You accept this license when you open this Pack. If you choose not

to accept this license, promptly return the unopened Pack to your distributor. You may only distribute unopened Packs within your

territory. For the territory in which you may distribute, see www.microsoft.com/oem/sblicense/territory. Individual Software or

Hardware units may not be returned after the Pack is opened.

If you buy a pre-assembled PC its very likely to have the OEM version installed. 

The only difference I have found between OEM and Retail is that the OEM version may be a specific version ie Vista 64-bit HP only, whereas the retail version contains all of the variants 32/64-bit, HP, Pro, Ultimate, etc.  There is no issue with activation with hardware changes.  I guess its technically illegal to use the OEM version if you build it yourself and don't sell it to another third party.

Regards

PeterH

One of my suppliers told me that OEM owners were not entitled to some of the MS support services, so  not being a qualified registered systems builder, I opted for the retail version, but on the eve of placing the order my son in law gave me a W7 64 bit Ultimate OEM as an early chrissy present. My best intentions thus fell by the wayside and I am happily indulging  myself with a new, and by MS standards, illegal OS  ;)

In the past I've always purchased OEM version of Windows simply because the retail cost has always been much higher for effectively the same product. I don't know about anyone else but I've certainly never run into any problems with Windows that has required me to contact Microshaft directly, I would normally go online and get advice through forums etc. if problems came up.

However, I also knew that it was unlikely that I would upgrade those particular computers before the next incarnation of Windows had appeared so again it seemed rather silly to purchase an expensive retail version when it would be more likely that the next upgrade would be pretty much all new hardware using the lastest OS. Recently I had to replace a faulty HD so took the opertunity to switch to Win7 and knowing that I'm liable to upgrade before the next release of Windows I went for the retail package. The other factor in this was the price between retail and OEM was MUCH closer when I done so, so the extra expense of retail was worthwhile. For this reason I would really suggest you compare the current prices of OEM versus retail and take into account when you are next likely to upgrade your machine, and by upgrade I mean the main components of motherboard, processor and ram. :)

Peter,

I think that official line from Microsoft relates to distributing the software.  It looks like it's okay to build a system for yourself using OEM.  Like others have stated, the restrictions seem to apply when upgrading major hardware components like mobo, CPU and HDD.

I guess if I don't plan on upgrading the sytem for the duration of W7, then OEM should be fine.  And it seems the cost of OEM is currently still quite favourable to Retail.

Thanks for all of the input guys.

Regards,

Andy

Andy

I tend to agree with you for previous versions of Windows - this is from the EULA for Windows OEM software: "OEM system builder software packs are intended for PC and server manufacturers or assemblers ONLY. They are not intended for distribution to end users. Unless the end user is actually assembling his/her own PC, in which case, that end user is considered a system builder as well."  However, the Windows 7 EULA does not have this statement and apparently you can't install Win 7 OEM on a PC you intend to keep yourself!!  But then how would MS know that you hadn't purchased a pre-built system with the OS (as OEM) already installed?  Further, what would happen if you bought a PC with OEM software on it and, as happened to me, a spike/brownout fried the PC and I had to buy and build a new PC (insurance claim) and I re-installed the OEM (Vista 64-bit) without installation or activation issues.

So, I was really trying to make the point that there is no difference beween support and activation for OEM vs Retail.  How could there be?  If you buy a pre-built PC from a reseller you would most likely have an OEM version installed on that PC. It wouldn't make sense for MS to restrict activation or installation or treat you any differently just because you purchased a PC with the OS already installed on it. 

I recently purchased a new system but I installed a Windows 7 64-bit HP on that system with absolutely no issues with regard to installation or activation.  Nor, as far as I can remember using the supposedly mandatory, OEM pre-installation kit (OPK).  Now whether or not it is legal for me to install my version of the OEM or not is a moot point.

Regards

PeterH

If you buy a pre-built PC from a reseller you would most likely have an OEM version installed on that PC. It wouldn't make sense for MS to restrict activation or installation or treat you any differently just because you purchased a PC with the OS already installed on it. 

It is my understanding that the onus to provide support for OEM versions falls onto the the supplier, in this case the retailer who built/sold the machine to the end user. In reality of you can still re-install and activate Windows as the end user but (in theory at least) if you ran into difficulties during this process e.g. your activation code was not accepted, Microsoft would have the right to refer you back to the seller of the PC to rectifiy the problem.

This is a risk if your are building your own machine, but providing you have purchased a ligitimate OEM copy of Windows that comes with a it's own product code that you have kept there should not be any reason for concern.

If the PC is expected to be largely unchanged (hardware) during the life of the OS installed on it, then IMO there's little need/point in purchasing a more expensive retail package. The opposite possibly applies though if you are likely to be upgrading your PC every six months or so particularly if these upgrades would involve replacing the core components of the machine, in which case under the restrictions imposed EULA or the OEM product would give Microsoft the right to refuse re-activation.

:)

I bought the OEM version $120AUD but you *have* to buy a hardware item to go with it so I got a 500gig Seagate for $60AUD. All told I have an OS and a nice backup drive for the prices of the Retail. MS charges manufacturers (Dell, HP, Acer etc) about $50USD per install so at $120AUD I've already paid a bit more than double. There is not difference from the OEM and Retail version other than the activation code. Again a bit of marketing spin...

If I did want to install it again, I'd just tell them my machine had to be repaired. Alternatively there are *hundreds* of activators out there... so either way I covered.

I've been using OEM Windows for many years, across 6 or 7 PCs, with zero problems.

Essentially, the difference with an OEM is that you don't get a pretty box, and you don't get "support". The CD/DVD is the same. Well I have precious little space on my shelves, so don't care about a fancy box, and there's not been a support issue yet that wasn't resolved faster and better with Google. As for reactivation, hardware changes etc: Done that multiple times, and never had a problem. The only time I ever had to call MS to get a code reacivated was for FSX, and that took all of 2 minutes!

I'm using retail for Win7 though, but only because the pre-order deal was so cheap, it was daft not to.

Thanks for that link Peter.  So it doesn't sound like you have to jump through any extra hoops to activate W7 OEM compared to Retail then?

Since I'll be purchasing hardware anyway, I may as well save some money and buy the OEM version  ;D

Hi Andy68,

fwiw I have been using OEM's from the time of XP, and had been getting them revalidated no worries until about a year ago when I went to revalidate a Vista 32bit after having used it in one original computer only, which I had bought assembled from a retailer.  It was unsuccessful on the net, and when I phoned Microsoft I told them truthfully that it was going back into the same computer but with a new motherboard they categorically refused to revalidate.

That operating system was used for about a year and now gathers dust in a draw - a waste of money.

Just last week however, I put together a new system and used a Vista 64bit OEM which was a year old from a now defunct machine and it was revalidated online no worries.

C'est la vie in the MS OEM world  ;)

I've been running Vista x64 home premium OEM on my wife's machine for a while now, with multiple hardware changes, CPU, GPU, MB and a new HD. Windows did not de-activate post GPU upgrade but did after the CPU/MB  upgrade. I just called  up MS and told them a part had died and was being replaced (not being upgraded) and they activated it, no questions asked.

Just my experience.

~cheers

PS. My suggestion is go for W7 instead of Vista, if you have the option.

I was running Vista32 OEM on my intel PC and after switching to Win7 I installed the Vista OEM on my wifes AMD machine. All I had to do was phone up microsoft and answer one question " is this installed on more than one machine?" which was answered "no" and then they gave me an activaion code. so the whole OEM/Retail argument is usually moot. And you save $200+

I bought the OEM Windows 7 64 an installed it without a drama on my newly built system. 2 Weeks later one of the ram slots died for some reason. I replaced the board and reformated. I had to ring Microsoft to reactivate and did so without any problems.

Lynchie

Archived