LOWI Dynamic Lighting

somiller

Hello,

I was curious of the differences at LOWI of using dynamic lighting vs legacy rendered lighting. I noticed something interesting when comparing screen captures of each configuration.

Appears to be a strange effect on the apron markings (shown in the area circled in red).

Any ideas?

I get GREAT performance at LOWI, even with complex PMDG aircraft...I will also comment, other than SSAA with dynamic lighting straining my GPU, there appears to be almost no impact from LOWI dynamic lighting beyond the strain already present when running the PMDG 737NGX. If dynamic lighting is active in P3D I have to drop back to MSAA when running PMDG aircraft.

Regards,

Steven Miller

Orbx order receipt 5a36818b19dc5

inside_NOdynamicforward.jpg

inside_dynamicforward.jpg

G'day Steven, 

Great findings, and you've highlighted a couple of limitations of the non-dynamic lighting. Essentially, the second picture you display is the technically correct one; the light splash is washing out the lines as well as the asphalt/concrete. In the first shot (with dynamic disabled), I have rendered the lighting manually, and added it to the texture sheet. Whilst unique light splashes can be added to large-scope textures such as aprons, they cannot be added to repeating textures (such as lines) without using an excessive amount of texture space (ie, without affecting performance). LOWI has some of our most advanced lighting textures in it's non-dynamic version, however as you've pointed out from the screenshots, there are still components that dynamic lighting will always improve :) 

PS - very glad you are getting good performance out with the dynamic lighting. I tried to keep the dynamic light sources as simple as possible to keep FPS higher. 

Cheers,

Jarrad

Archived