Ftx first time user

charlesko

I upgraded my PC and now I have E 6300 core duo cpu at 2,8 ghz.It seems will be works with ftx fine.I m thinking about buying some of FTX products and I like especially FTX AU RED.Screenshots are beautiful.Is it a good choice for first time customer or you suggest me some another product?

Thanks

Welcome! I'm sure you will like it here. :)

As for product recommendations: the AU Gold and AU Blue regions are the most varied and most populated areas with lots of airports. All OrbX payware and freeware airports that have been released so far are located in these regions. These regions also have the best coverage of the 300+ OzX freeware airfields (see www.aussiex.org for more info). So, if you want lots of things to do and lots of places to visit these would be your best bet.

Of course, if you can spare the money I'd recommend getting the whole shabang in the form of the Australia SP3 DVD. It includes all four AU regions at a better price than buying them individually. Plus it includes the payware airport Coffs Habour as a free bonus.

EDIT: oh, and I just saw that the Australia SP2 DVD is on sale right now (99.95 AUD) which would mean that would get all four regions for the price of two (plus Avalon airport instead of Coffs Harbour).

Are you satisfied with your ati card in ftx products?

Yeah, in regards to FTX it's just fine. There are a couple of things that I don't like regarding Flight Simulator X in general, though. In Flight Simulator X the 4870 has a problem with Anti Aliasing which results in livery lines not being filtered, while the rest is. I also get quite bit of shimmering on water no matter what my texture filter settings are. And Ati card don't seem to cope too well with dense cloud covers. Nvidia is considered to provide better performance in that area. But all in all I'm quite happy with my setup. I think the filtering problems are specific for the 4870 as well. So other ati cards should be fine in that respect.

Do you have any problems with micro stuttering in ftx?

I used to have stuttering when I left the framerate unlimited and when there were lots of autogen and clouds in view. But locking the framerate to 22 seems to be the sweetspot for me. It's smooth enough for flying and I don't experience any stuttering at all.

so you dont use any tweaks for fsx.also any autogen trees and building as reccomend John Venema in AUBlue demo user guide?

Nope. I used to have them but I found that the default Dense autogen setting provided the right mix between eyecandy and performance for me. Sure, with the tweak you can set the relation between trees and building individually, but I don't need that.

By the way Charles, if your first thought was FTX AU Red, you might find AU Green more interesting in that it contains the red desert-like conditions of the north west, as well as the tropics of the north and north east. Otherwise, just by the DVD and you'll get the whole lot!

Hello Charlesko.

Welcome to the forum.  Don't forget that each Airport comes with a very easy to digest manua,l and it gives what they the developers consider,  is where the sliders should be.  Mind you it's only a starting position you may have to slide say the 'Autogen' down so it suits your computer and /or the other sliders, but it's a good position to get you started.

All the best, regards

Jim.

Archived