DDR3 v DDR2

MarkH

Can anyone give me a rough idea about how significant the choice of DDR3 over DDR2 RAM is for FSX? I am thinking of buying an ASUS Striker II Formula board, but the Striker II Extreme takes DDR3 and I'm wondering if the extra investment will be worth the pain.

As long as the MoBo supports DDR3 use it.

Ah, the point is I have to buy a different board to use DDR3 and I wondered if it's worth the premium (about 50UKP). The consensus seems to be that there's great performance potential, so I guess the answer is yes.

Hi

Isn't there another choice to make wrt DDR3 RAM? 

If you have an i7 9XX series you probaly need to choose triple channel DDR3 RAM at 3, 6, 12 GB. 

If you have a new i5 and i7 8xx series you probably use the dual channel DDR3 RAM at 2, 4,  8GB.

It's starting to get confusing :)

PeterH

Isn't there another choice to make wrt DDR3 RAM? 

If you have an i7 9XX series you probaly need to choose triple channel DDR3 RAM at 3, 6, 12 GB. 

If you have a new i5 and i7 8xx series you probably use the dual channel DDR3 RAM at 2, 4,  8GB.

I guess I go with dual channel as it will be an LGA775 board and Core2 Duo CPU.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/255223-30-ddr2-ddr3-core

Found the following which seems to answer your question. DDR3 really only benefits the i7 chips it would seem as there is only a 2% benefit someone has written with a Core2 chip and DDR3.

However money wise, if you want to update that chip later to a i7 then you already have the RAM for it don't you.

Found the following which seems to answer your question. DDR3 really only benefits the i7 chips it would seem as there is only a 2% benefit someone has written with a Core2 chip and DDR3.

Food for thought, thanks!

And here's more dissent. Looks like this isn't at all simple for LGA775. I'm assuming these results generalise to contemporary non-Intel chipsets (nVidia790 in particular), so it looks like I should probably go for the cheaper board and stick with the fastest DDR2 I can get.  :-\

Archived