A Little More RAM Advice Please

Lyn

I am building a new computer and these are the main parts.

EVGA P55 FTW Motherboard (Dual Channel)

Intel Core i7 860

NOCTUA NH-U12P-SE CPU Cooler

EVGA GeForce GTX 275 FTW Graphics Card

Win7 64bit OS

I would like to have more than 4GB RAM.

The only Dual Channel kit that I have found available in OZ, is the Corsair Dominator (CMD8GX3M4A1600C8) 8GIG [4x2].

After reading all of the problems with Corsair kits, here and on other forums, I really don't want to go down that path.

OCZ have a kit but I have not found it for sale here.

I guess two 4GB kits is a NO NO.

I could get a 6GB Triple Channel Kit, but then it would default to Single Channel.

Any help will be appreciated.

Lyn.

I think the result of 6 Gb of DDR3 in a P55 board would be that you only have 4Gb "available to use" - unless you set the MB to single channel.  Might be wrong there.

I don't see any problem with putting 2 x 4Gb kits ... (ie 2Gb in each slot).

Others may beg to differ, but that should run dual channel ok.

I don't see any problem with putting 2 x 4Gb kits ... (ie 2Gb in each slot).

Others may beg to differ, but that should run dual channel ok.

A tech at EVGA said that two unmatched kits put together is not a good idea, but he didn't say why.

Its hard to work out the benefit of matched pairs.

I guess go the Dominator 8 Gb, and be porepared to swap it out if you can;t get it stable.

That mem has been used with the board elsewhere ... without problems.

The eVGA guys might be able to help if there are issues.

Lyn,

Check out the following article, just posted on Tom's Hardware, which relates to value (with Performance) RAM on the P55 Motherboard at:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ddr3-4gb-p55,2462.html

The Crucial 4GB Kit (CT25664BA1339) was awarded the Best of 2009 Tom's Hardware Award and can be bought via eBay for around AU$90 per 2GB module.

Refer to one eBay link at:

http://shop.ebay.com.au/i.html?LH_PrefLoc=2&_nkw=CT25664BA1339&_fln=1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m283

Paul

Guest cirrusnature

I'm using 8Gigs CORSAIR CMD8GX3M4A1600C8 4X2GB DDR3-1600 CL8 DOMINATOR

without any issues at all. Even at my OC it's completely stable running at 8-8-8-24 1600 but I am using a different motherboard than you. I guess it might just be pot luck if it works or not.

Thanks for the input Guys.

After all that, the CORSAIR CMD8GX3M4A1600C8 looks like the only 8GB Matched Kit available to me.

It works in the ASUS Mobo, so it should shape up in the EVGA.

I'll get one next week and see how it goes.

If I have any trouble, I'll Be Back.

Lyn.

I'm also considering an upgrade too for my RAM. I've got 2GB at the moment, will probably upgrade to 4GB. I'm not hardcore on hardware for computers, so I don't really understand much else with all that other stuff. At the moment though I've got very high settings along with the recommended FTX settings (but with full aircraft traffic) and also have done some of the recommended tweaks. When on unlimited (sometimes when in cities), I get about an average of 10fps, and when on target frame rate (which I do more now for the texture detail) I get an average of 7fps. I don't mind it, but would be nice if it was a little higher.

Just wandering what would an upgrade to 4GB of RAM do to FSX's performance.

Archived