Grass over runway???

SigmundHorn29

Hello SigmundHorn29,

Yes, Nick is correct default KJAX is 07/25 13/31.  I think you might have a conflicting airfield scenery for KJAX Jacksonville FL. Interestingly you have a Microsoft signboard to the left of what would be runway 07 in your picture, have you by chance installed the "AIG Air India Group) - (Patrick Finch) version of KJAX" from AVSIM library. It lists a runway designation change (08/26 14/32) in one of the updates to that package.

You might also try setting your Mesh Resolution slider to 5m to see if the runways settle.  
This scenery can be found here https://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=jacksonville+kjax&CatID=root&Sort=Name&ScanMode=0&Page=2 the scenery was made to better reflect the realworld new runway designation and airfield features as per GE as of 2011to comply with the shift in earth's magnetic field. 

There are 2 parts for this package as shown on the Avsim library page, it is compatible with FSX, no mention of P3Dv3x or v4x as far as compatibility, it is essential you have installed correctly and read the readme instructions or Visit us at www.alpha-india.net for more information.

If you have this installed, try temporarily disabling this airfield scenery in your scenery library then recheck the 07 @ KJAX.

No addon airports.  The only addons I have are orbx products, Active sky with cloud art, Rex texture direct.  No addon airports in my scenery library at least that I'm aware of.  My mesh resolution is set to 5m to coincide with recommended settings for global and vector.  I've tried repairing p3d v 4.1 but still having this issue,  uninstall orbx etc.  the only thing I haven't tried is a complete uninstall of p3d which is something I would like to avoid since I've done this a few times.

Hi SigmundHorn29,

I thought my idea was at least plausible, when looking at your pic I see a Microsoft signboard in a very unusual place, potentially indicating a conflicting addon. I tried the above indicated scenery in FSX which reflected the new runway designations both on the runways and signage markers. I did not see a Microsoft signboard at all. I will give this issue some more thought since you said you don't believe you have any non-stock, non-Orbx installed. It would be worthwhile doing a file search in your sim folders to see if you have indeed installed another KJAX .bgl 
Search using KJAX as your search term (see what shows up in the explorer window) Post a pic of your search if you like.

Hello Jeff,

You may see in post 2, I asked the same question.

Excellent suggestion about the AI Group addon.

I have tried it in P3D v4, regrettably, the bespoke airport buildings

don't display but the renumbered runways do and the taxiways after

the customary draw fix.

To me, it also looks like a second airport, I also cannot see the Microsoft sign,

however, we are now twice reassured that there is nothing there but default.

I have tried everything I can think of to break this airport but so far, I cannot.

Hi Nick,

Yes, your post 2 is what made me do a little extracurricular investigation into what else might be out there with changed runway designation. AIG seemed to fit the possibilities.

Although there is another by "Art Pool" though runway designator changes are not mentioned in that version, just the addition of blast pads.   

Indecently - when I tried the AIG airfield with 08/26 14/32 cross runways active .bgl's in FSX, my AI disappeared from the saved flight, where there were at least 8 large jets making their way to runway 07 (I had loaded a previously saved flight for checking 07/25 13/31), maybe just a change to the afcad (parking/gates bumped them away from the field).

I think I'll remove "AIG KJAX" (since the default /Stock KJAX field with original designators works just fine for my needs).

The bespoke airport buildings would be in the "Alpha India Group Scenery Objects\Scenery \Texture" folder, did you activate that folder.

We may be on the right track as far as conflicting scenery addon, it will be interesting to see what the folder search reveals, but for now I'm all out of ideas because there is nothing that would automatically replace runway designators from (stock/default) unless a specific KJAX addon had been activated or traffic addon afcad.

Hello,

if you find none, it may be that you have none that use the ICAO as an identifier.

The default resides in scenery\0302 as you can see in the screen shots of ADE but

its file is not named after the ICAO.

Would you mind attaching your scenery.cfg file please?

Thanks, pretty convincing evidence that your assessment that there is only one version of this airport is not accurate.

(Apart from the four runways).

Untitled.jpg

As you do have an addon, it remains only to find it.

I would suspect that for whatever reason, the addon airport's cvx file is missing, allowing both the addon and the default airport to display at the same time.

I see that there isn't much added to your scenery library, so you could also try unticking the three addons and see if there is any difference.

I have no idea of what other kjax scenery could possibly be installed.  I'm stumped!  As I said the only addons that I've installed to p3d was orbx products,  AS16+ASCA and REX textures.  The only other add on that I've installed is Navigraph Simlink which allows me to have moving charts but, other than that no addon airports have ever been installed at least not by myself and I am the only person who uses my pc lol.  I will try to disable simlink and see if that may be causing my issue.

1 minute ago, Nick Cooper said:

Any software that updates airport runway numbers could be causing this.

this seems to be the only airport that I'm aware of that has this issue.  KLAS has new rwy designations in FMC but, not on runway and I don't have this problem.  I wonder why is it happening here and not any other airport where the rwy designations have changed.  

So, I did an experiment and install FSX Steam and KJAX appeared as it should with correct runways.  For some reason my p3d installation seems to not install the airport correctly.  I've tried replacing the scenery.cfg with my fsx steam scenery.cfg as well as taking the files from fsx scenery folder 0302 and it remains the same.  I had no choice but to reinstall p3d to see if the issue would correct itself but, as you guessed it did not solve my problem.  So for now I will just not fly into this airport.  I've made a post on Lockheeds forum but, haven't got any responses.  

It is not really possible that your copy of P3D is different to everyone else's.

If you can't make simple airport scanner work, download and install Little NavMap, it will tell you in the airport information box, which files you have installed

for any airport that you have.

First you need to let it build a database.

Ok I will give little navmap a go when I return home from work.  I agree with it's not possible for my version of p3d to be different but, something is going on with the installation of the scenery for this particular airport.  I even did a fresh install of my OS and installed p3d before I installed anything else and this issue remained.  

Hello,

yes, I understand that but we should be dealing with a default airport which has 

no files from FTX except for the Vector file ABP_KJAX.bgl which does not contain

an airport.

Logically, someone or something else has added a second airport in the same place

but with the updated  runway numbers.

Just now, Nick Cooper said:

Hello,

yes, I understand that but we should be dealing with a default airport which has 

no files from FTX except for the Vector file ABP_KJAX.bgl which does not contain

an airport.

Logically, someone or something else has added a second airport in the same place

but with the updated  runway numbers.

It's very odd that this is happening only with p3d.  As mentioned above I installed a copy of FSX steam and I didn't encounter this issue.  Runways designated were the correct designation 07/25  13/31.  So, my only conclusion I can come up with is p3d itself is the issue.  I would know if I tried to add an airport in the same place but, that's simply not the case.  Thanks for all your help Nick I will get back to you on my progress when I return home this afternoon.

I'm interested as well!  I'm completely stumped about this lol.  I always assumed that the base for the scenery in p3d were the same or very similar to that in FSX.   Fsx seems to install no extra runways there.  I installed them on seperate hard drives.  P3d has its own hard drive it's installed on.  Nothing else is installed on that drive.  

Hello Sigmund,

I wonder now, if it would be beneficial to do a system-wide file search using "KJAX" and then "Jacksonville" as your search term. It is not outside the realms of possibility that the 08/26 14/32 non-stock KJAX could be active from a folder located outside the simulator's traditional access location. Search may find something if the conflicting .bgl is so named, but it may still not reveal the culprit if it has an obscure or sequential filename. (We keep our fingers crossed, to solve this mystery).

As nick says, the Map and Picture clearly show 2 airfields in operation within P3Dv4.1  07-08 / 25-26  13-14 / 31-32 

(me again),

To improve your system-wide file search success (all drives & folders), you should probably use these search terms. *KJAX*.bgl and  *Jacksonville*.bgl   click the white space in the File Explorer where drives are shown,  do not highlight a specific drive, as you will be searching every mounted drive and folder for the elusive .bgl's which are affecting your P3Dv4 KJAX. 

The asterisks mean "any", so any file containing "KJAX" or  "Jacksonville" as part of their filename will be found and displayed.

The file search window /panel, should be shown in "list view" where full filenames, file dates, file types, folder locations, are displayed. (Please expand the "folder location" and "filename" columns, if any files are displayed.

Use the keyboard PrtScn or Alt+PrtScn to take a picture of your file searches, they will be temporarily saved to the OS clipboard. Open MS Paint then paste the picture. Choose SaveAs to save the pic as .jpeg in a folder of your choosing then upload as you have done with your previous pictures.

On ‎11‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 11:22 PM, Jeff Gilmour said:

(me again),

To improve your system-wide file search success (all drives & folders), you should probably use these search terms. *KJAX*.bgl and  *Jacksonville*.bgl   click the white space in the File Explorer where drives are shown,  do not highlight a specific drive, as you will be searching every mounted drive and folder for the elusive .bgl's which are affecting your P3Dv4 KJAX. 

The asterisks mean "any", so any file containing "KJAX" or  "Jacksonville" as part of their filename will be found and displayed.

The file search window /panel, should be shown in "list view" where full filenames, file dates, file types, folder locations, are displayed. (Please expand the "folder location" and "filename" columns, if any files are displayed.

Use the keyboard PrtScn or Alt+PrtScn to take a picture of your file searches, they will be temporarily saved to the OS clipboard. Open MS Paint then paste the picture. Choose SaveAs to save the pic as .jpeg in a folder of your choosing then upload as you have done with your previous pictures.

Here are the results of my search.  305rAvX.pngl1v29u5.png

Thankyou for those pictures Sigmund, although they are identical pictures, the *Jacksonville*.bgl search did not bring the results I was hoping for.
How did you get on with the *KJAX*.bgl search,  I was hoping for a more definitive result.

The 2 files shown in your pictures are  LM (LightMap) .bgl's , and as such would not create the dual runways for the default and the additional runways 8/26 14/32. What we are looking for are ADE or ADEX .bgl's specifically for KJAX  but more specifically the elusive  .bgl with the revised runway designations 8/26 14/32.

Perhaps Nick will pop back in here this evening, (UK time). In the meantime is there a picture of your *KJAX*.bgl  search.

• 2 months later...

Archived