P3Dv4 Slow Texture loading in areas, such as KSAN with FTXG + OpenLC NA

theskyisthelimit99

I have a fairly beefy rig and have tried every combination of settings i can find to alleviate this issue.. i'm assuming this is just "how it is" with p3dv4.. but maybe worse with certain addon regions than others (i dont think some of my other addon areas suffer this much).

Are there any tricks to making the texture loading faster?  I've tried .cfg changes, slider changes (reducing graphics etc, though my gpu never runs about 60% and cpu at 49%).. my cpu is running at 4.6ghz along with 3200mhz ddr4 with the 1080 ftw hybrid.

I'm running with Objectflowv2..

My frame rate goes from a min of around 30 fps (4k) to around 50 in this area, depending on direction from the VC.. i've tried tweaking settings in the KSAN control panel and think this is as good as it gets for this area.  I used to have some severe stuttering, but thats been eliminated mainly through a cleansing of my data folders.. i have some minor stuttering when the frame rate drops below 40 fps (unlimited in sim, vsync on, triple buffer, NI set to fast sync)

Here is a video snippet.. notice the texture "darkening" in front of the plane..

Thanks in advance

The more i test here, the more i think this is just an issue with the underlying P3D engine/LM issue.. 

However.. ksan frames being weaker than other areas (IE: sca) could still use a boost.

I did discover if i disable  FTXAA_ORBXLibs in scenery.cfg things jump to near 60 at all times (vs now with mins of 35, max of 50, avg 45 or so).. not sure what i lose by disabling this.. before / after shots dont reveal any real change at least around KSAN, but a big gain in FPS?

2 minutes ago, Nick Cooper said:

Your choice but it is simply a matter of the less you display, the easier it is for the simulator.

You can choose to watch the frame rate counter or the image.

Personally, I prefer the image.

I prefer the image as well, however, at least in this case i couldnt see much change.. it must be small things here and there?

Have you tried limiting your P3Dv4 Target Frame Rate to allow P3D to allocate more CPU resources to other activities such as loading textures. I think that a  steady 30 is much better than a struggling 40 or 50. Unlimited FPS is a real waste of CPU resources IMHO.

16 minutes ago, Rhett said:

Have you tried limiting your P3Dv4 Target Frame Rate to allow P3D to allocate more CPU resources to other activities such as loading textures. I think that a  steady 30 is much better than a struggling 40 or 50. Unlimited FPS is a real waste of CPU resources IMHO.

Yeah i have.. tried it both ways, in sim or via nvidia or via monitor 30hz.. i can see a difference (degradation) in doing it this way, compared with just leaving it wide open with vsync on.

1 hour ago, Darryl said:

Why is it suddenly flicking to a darker shade that doesnt look good 

Yeah thats the issue i'm showing here.  It does this on two different machines too.. barely anything installed/configured as well.  I think just the way it is (for now?) but certain feels like laggy tile loading (which p3d/lm has an ongoing random issue with).

Archived