Extremely Slow Sceneario Load

Jorge Brito

Good day team,

I have been an ORBX Customer for quite a few years now, never had a problem I considered really serious up until now, I own several ORBX products including Open LC Alaska/Canada, so, I recently purchased Open LC NA and SA. The problem is that after installing this two new products and the freeware scenery that is P3D4 ready in the website the sim just became ridiculously slow in regard to loading scenraio.

In other words, I open the sim normally, select the plane (PA28 Cherokee by A2A - Not heavy at all), selec the airport and start loading, it may take even half an hour to load the scenario now. before installing these products it was loading at a normal speed, just a few seconds.

Hope you can help me out with this issues.

Thanks in advance!

Ok, what does this mean?? 5 days since I posted this and not even one answer?? Did I do something wrong?? I purchased these products through FTX central and the only thing I saw was an e-mail thanking me for having purchased the products and this transaction ID:  5992ee21102a0 there is no order number!!

Hi Jorge

Sorry, but there could be many reasons for this issue, such as maybe your antivirus is scanning the massive amounts of extra data added? Have you excluded your FS folders from this? Also, please use the search field and "slow loading " as a start. :) 

Cheers

Doug

Hello Jorge,

I am just a Flight Simmer like you, I do not know exactly why your post has gone so long unanswered, apart from where the Payware support sub forum has high than normal activity, a post can often get bumped down the list as new topics are created and answered.

If I am understanding your issue correctly, your simulator installation was basic FSX / P3D and then you began installing addon software (FTX/Orbx), up until this time your sim loaded the flight setup very quickly, then after installing addons your loading times became extremely long.
Short load times of (mere seconds) with a default Sim (No addons) is normal and expected. (20-30seconds) 
Increased load times are also expected after installing addon scenery/airports, sometimes adding tens of seconds to load times (it can be anywhere from 50sec to 1min30sec or even 2min depending on the complexity of addons and the area you are loading into).
It is highly unusual to experience such high load times of 30 minutes as you are describing. 

Until a staff member can attend to your question, could you tell us a little more about your Sim Setup.

In the meantime - there are many excellent threads on the forum about "slow loading" Sim, and the measures you might investigate to mitigate longer than normal load times. (Though I agree your 30 min load time is excessive, it may be your setup, Sim config, or hardware) not necessarily Orbx/FTX.
(My own load times are in the vicinity of 50sec to 1min50sec depending on the complexity) my settings are high my hardware is mid-range.

PC hardware specifications (CPU Graphics RAM)?

What type of Drive is your sim installed onto? HDD or SSD?  (For HDD (spinning disk) have you defragged your drive to make the file structure contiguous)
Do you have plenty of free space on your OS system drive and or your Sim drive?

Where is your sim installed? Dedicated Sim drive or OS system drive? (Default) Protected folder location or (as recommended) outside of these protected OS folders?

Which Sim are you using?  (FSX-A / FSX:SE / P3Dv3.? / P3Dv4) 

What are Simulator and graphics settings?  (Scenery and traffic slider "%")

What is the slowest phase of the loading process? (ie; terrain, scenery, traffic) the beginning 6%  terrain data, terrain data, Autogen Scenery, Weather, AI traffic)  

Do you have an addon traffic program, what level of traffic are you loading?
Are you using any PhotoReal scenery?  (This can create long load times as the data is huge and will be loaded regardless of wether you are flying over it or not). 

Do you have a High Res mesh product? 

As Doug has also said:

Search the forum, there is a wealth of useful info.
also

Excluding your Sim Folders/files from Antivirus scans will help to alleviate some load/run issues with the simulator, provided everything else is within normal limits.

Ok guys, thank you for your answers, I appreciate them, the issue is actually related to affinity mask, I have an I7 4790K and the sim P3D V4 is running in a SSD (Don't remember the model but it is a very fast Samsung SSD)...

For some reason that I don't know my Windows Explorer is using 50% of the CPU and the affinity is set to use all 8 cores, the sim is also set to use all 8 cores but it was not going above 20% when loading terrain data, I searched in the internet and found some similar cases here and there, finally I got to mess around with the task manager and just like to see what happens I changed the affinity mask for P3D and then it worked, I opened it and loaded a flight in just a few seconds (Like it was doing before installing Open LC South and North America), I was amazed I could find the way to fix the issue, the only problem is that after rebooting the computer the settings go back to default every time, but well, I think I can live with it... I heard about process lasso but I don't think it's worth the money since I would use it only for that...

Thanks to all...

Hello Jorge,

Ok so its not at all what I thought, I know very little about P3Dv4 in its infancy, I'm still an old FSX dinosaur, where load times can vary between user systems, giving the obligatory 6% terrain loading stall (we learn to live with it - as it is a mass data load as expected), I'm sure I read somewhere 64bit P3Dv4 has a much better loading rate than 32bit FSX/P3D where the sim has addon scenery.
From what you have replied it does not seem related to FTX/Orbx or even your P3Dv4 Simulator. It seems that another process combined with your "Windows Explorer" is using at least 50% of your processor.  Affinity mask won't help with this as the resources are already being consumed before even starting P3Dv4. Are you using Norton Internet Security and if so, is it set to "silent", and "scan excluded" while running your Sim.

I had a similar high CPU & RAM issue a month or two back, It was my Antivirus playing havoc with resources, where my "Norton Internet Security" combined with "Windows Explorer" was stuck in a LiveUpdate System Scan cycle, CPU resources @ 50-75% & RAM @  9-12Gb used of my total 16Gb. Leaving me 25% CPU and just 4Gb RAM to start and run FSX and any other utility.  
I looked at the Windows Task Manager - Processes tab, and found that indeed "nis.exe" and "Windows Explorer" were the reason for such high resource usage.  After a few support sessions with Norton, it was discovered that a Norton update had not completed its after installation cleanup routine, and was in conflict with itself "nis.exe" and "Windows Explorer". The computer would boot into my user login, and remain minimal on CPU & RAM resource, but after an hour or so it would begin to climb as mentioned above. The process would never relinquish the resources or finish the automated scan task, the only way to recover was a system reboot and there after for a short while I could happily use FSX.... until part-way through a session I would see the resources starting to skyrocket once more, producing glitches & stutters in FSX to the point of CTD or needing to end the session.
After many sessions with Norton they were convinced that a patch update was needed for their entire customer base, as there were quite a few other users having similar issues, not quite as high but enough to disrupt the smooth usage of resource intensive programs. Lets face it  'a good AV program should only use minimal resources when running in the background, it should not hijack a system for its own processes.' Anyway to cut a long story, the latest liveupdate patch seems to have fixed my nis.exe WinExplorer resource usage issue, now using CPU 0% when idle, 3-8% when tasked, and barely any extra RAM (maybe a few hundred meg on top of other running processes).

So possibly look at your Task Manager Process tab, find processes that are using excessive CPU resources @ %50, end the process if possible, and test your P3Dv4 loading time. By all means find a best Affinity Mask to use with P3Dv4 spreading the load across 4 Cores 4 Threads of your i74790k.

Archived